Re-inventing TCP (was: newbie check..)

    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 30, 2013
      Terry Gilsenan:
      > I have done testing with file transfers using both TCP and UDP,

      Would not the same result be achieved by disabling TCP congestion
      control? I am not implying that doing so is a good idea.

      Wietse
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 30, 2013
        On 8/30/2013 10:12 AM, Terry Gilsenan wrote:

        > I am not talking about implementing SMTP on UDP, I am taking about the possibility of adding a side-channel for bulk data that would use UDP.

        I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. It seems there's a
        far simpler solution to the described high latency low bandwidth
        attachment transfer problem: TCP send/receive buffer size.

        If all receiving systems advertised a sufficiently large receive buffer
        and clients could match it, then this latency/bandwidth problem pretty
        much evaporates. A 1MB buffer allows a 50MB attachment to be sent
        requiring only 50 ACKs. Assuming the path is fairly reliable, which has
        been your assumption in your UDP argument, then this is a far less
        invasive solution with similar performance.

        IIRC, not may years ago, a team comprised of personnel at Argonne and
        CERN achieved sustained saturation of a 1 Gbps link between Chicago and
        Geneva, using parallel FTP and an insanely large TCP buffer, like in the
        multiple GB range. I'll have to dig it up.

        This demonstrates that high bandwidth TCP over high latency links is
        achievable.

        --
        Stan