How do i get Postfix to act like a mail client using TLS to talk to an upstream server

  • Rob Tanner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2013
      Hi,

      Our Admissions department is looking to use Mandrill to get a better handle on emails they send out to perspective students.  With Mandril, we relay all the mail we generate to one on their servers using SMTP, but they want the connection encrypted.  I already have one server setup that allows encrypted connections to be made to it (has a real vert and everything) but my problem now is the other way around, I need one of my postfix servers to initiate an encrypted connection to Mandrill.

      Can anybody point me to some documentation? Perhaps a howto?

      Thanks.

      Rob Tanner

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2013
        On 8/28/2013 9:23 PM, Rob Tanner wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Our Admissions department is looking to use Mandrill to get a better
        > handle on emails they send out to perspective students. With
        > Mandril, we relay all the mail we generate to one on their servers
        > using SMTP, but they want the connection encrypted. I already have
        > one server setup that allows encrypted connections to be made to it
        > (has a real vert and everything) but my problem now is the other way
        > around, I need one of my postfix servers to initiate an encrypted
        > connection to Mandrill.
        >
        > Can anybody point me to some documentation? Perhaps a howto?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Rob Tanner
        > rtanner@... <mailto:rtanner@...>

        Sounds as if you already have postfix built with TLS on that server,
        in which case maybe all you need is
        # main.cf
        smtp_tls_security_level = may

        Here's the docs: