Virtual Alias Routing

  • James MacLachlan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hi List,

      I have read the documentation, and do not understand if this is possible,
      but I think it should be. I have a spam filter that is required to listen
      on the MX of my domain, but it does not support alias expansion, so the
      postfix server has to do the expansion then send the message back to the
      filter for final delivery.

      Is it possible to deliver virtual mailbox maps to the mda, but relay
      virtual alias maps back to the filter?

      I was thinking that I could append a routing domain to all aliases, which
      would transport to a rewrite interface, that would relay back to the
      filter. I would like to know if there is a more efficient way to do
      this, and if the above method is workable.

      Thanks,
      James
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
        James MacLachlan:
        > Hi List,
        >
        > I have read the documentation, and do not understand if this is possible,
        > but I think it should be. I have a spam filter that is required to listen
        > on the MX of my domain, but it does not support alias expansion, so the
        > postfix server has to do the expansion then send the message back to the
        > filter for final delivery.

        That is a fairly standard: either one expands aliases before or
        after a content filter.

        > Is it possible to deliver virtual mailbox maps to the mda, but relay
        > virtual alias maps back to the filter?

        Postfix receives all mail from the filter, therefore expand your
        virtual aliases in Postfix and be done with it. No need to filter
        mail twice.

        Wietse
      • James MacLachlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
          On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, Wietse Venema wrote:

          > James MacLachlan:
          >> Hi List,
          >>
          >> I have read the documentation, and do not understand if this is possible,
          >> but I think it should be. I have a spam filter that is required to listen
          >> on the MX of my domain, but it does not support alias expansion, so the
          >> postfix server has to do the expansion then send the message back to the
          >> filter for final delivery.
          >
          > That is a fairly standard: either one expands aliases before or
          > after a content filter.
          >
          >> Is it possible to deliver virtual mailbox maps to the mda, but relay
          >> virtual alias maps back to the filter?
          >
          > Postfix receives all mail from the filter, therefore expand your
          > virtual aliases in Postfix and be done with it. No need to filter
          > mail twice.
          >
          > Wietse

          This solution requires delegating alias buckets to someone, rather than
          everyone, which does not meet the enduser requirements. The issue is a
          conflict between the enduser requirments and the filter requirements, it
          appears that I will not be able to satisfy one of them.

          Thanks for the help.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013
            Wietse:
            > Postfix receives all mail from the filter, therefore expand your
            > virtual aliases in Postfix and be done with it. No need to filter
            > mail twice.

            James MacLachlan:
            > This solution requires delegating alias buckets to someone, rather than
            > everyone, which does not meet the enduser requirements. The issue is a

            If different users have different filter policies, then putting
            Postfix before the filter solves that problem. When Postfix does
            the alias expansion first, the filter knows who is receiving the
            mail.

            Looping mail from the filter through Postfix back again into the
            filter is more than likely to cause mailer loops. Postfix routing
            does not distinguish between an address that was received in RCPT
            TO commands and an address that comes out of alias expansion.