Re: Recipient address rejected: aol.com

  • DTNX Postmaster
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
      On Aug 23, 2013, at 07:54, Grant <emailgrant@...> wrote:

      > Does this mean the email address doesn't exist?
      >
      > <example@...>: host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.161] said: 550 5.1.1
      > <example@...>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com (in reply to
      > RCPT TO command)

      Yes, it should mean exactly that;

      X.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address

      The mailbox specified in the address does not exist. For
      Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left
      of the "@" sign is invalid. This code is only useful for
      permanent failures.

      Mvg,
      Joni
    • King Cao
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
        It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).

        However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.

        Regards,
        King

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
          On Aug 23, 2013, at 09:25, King Cao <speedjing@...> wrote:

          > It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).
          >
          > However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.

          http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php

          The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
          rejection results in a different return code.

          Mvg,
          Joni

          --

          > 2013/8/23 DTNX Postmaster <postmaster@...>
          > On Aug 23, 2013, at 07:54, Grant <emailgrant@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Does this mean the email address doesn't exist?
          > >
          > > <example@...>: host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.161] said: 550 5.1.1
          > > <example@...>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com (in reply to
          > > RCPT TO command)
          >

          > Yes, it should mean exactly that;
          > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3463#section-3.2
          >
          > X.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address
          >
          > The mailbox specified in the address does not exist. For
          > Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left
          > of the "@" sign is invalid. This code is only useful for
          > permanent failures.
          >
          > Mvg,
          > Joni
        • Grant
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
            >> It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).
            >>
            >> However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.
            >
            > http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php
            >
            > The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
            > rejection results in a different return code.

            I originally started this thread because I received several "Recipient
            address rejected" bounces from different aol.com addresses in the last
            24 hours. I have just now received this:

            Final-Recipient: rfc822;masked@...
            Action: delayed
            Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 4.3.2 - Not accepting messages at this time
            554-'5.7.1 : (RLY:B1)
            http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html' (delivery
            attempts: 0)

            That URL says the following which does sound like a policy violation:

            "This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks
            are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our
            threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system
            within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold."

            Could "statistics" refer to the several messages sent from my IP
            address to non-existent aol.com addresses within the last 24 hours?

            - Grant

            >> > Does this mean the email address doesn't exist?
            >> >
            >> > <example@...>: host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.161] said: 550 5.1.1
            >> > <example@...>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com (in reply to
            >> > RCPT TO command)
            >>

            >> Yes, it should mean exactly that;
            >> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3463#section-3.2
            >>
            >> X.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address
            >>
            >> The mailbox specified in the address does not exist. For
            >> Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left
            >> of the "@" sign is invalid. This code is only useful for
            >> permanent failures.
            >>
            >> Mvg,
            >> Joni
          • DTNX Postmaster
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
              On Aug 23, 2013, at 12:16, Grant <emailgrant@...> wrote:

              >>> It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).
              >>>
              >>> However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.
              >>
              >> http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php
              >>
              >> The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
              >> rejection results in a different return code.
              >
              > I originally started this thread because I received several "Recipient
              > address rejected" bounces from different aol.com addresses in the last
              > 24 hours. I have just now received this:
              >
              > Final-Recipient: rfc822;masked@...
              > Action: delayed
              > Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 4.3.2 - Not accepting messages at this time
              > 554-'5.7.1 : (RLY:B1)
              > http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html' (delivery
              > attempts: 0)
              >
              > That URL says the following which does sound like a policy violation:
              >
              > "This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks
              > are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our
              > threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system
              > within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold."
              >
              > Could "statistics" refer to the several messages sent from my IP
              > address to non-existent aol.com addresses within the last 24 hours?

              Yes. It looks like you sent too many messages to non-existent
              mailboxes, and are therefore blacklisted for 24 hours after you stop
              doing that. Or at least being deferred.

              You aren't lishwashing or anything, are you? Can't imagine they'd do
              that for just a few of them.

              Mvg,
              Joni
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013

                >>> http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php
                >>>
                >>> The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
                >>> rejection results in a different return code.
                >>
                >> I originally started this thread because I received several "Recipient
                >> address rejected" bounces from different aol.com addresses in the last
                >> 24 hours. I have just now received this:
                >>
                >> Final-Recipient: rfc822;masked@...
                >> Action: delayed
                >> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 4.3.2 - Not accepting messages at this time
                >> 554-'5.7.1 : (RLY:B1)
                >> http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html' (delivery
                >> attempts: 0)
                >>
                >> That URL says the following which does sound like a policy violation:
                >>
                >> "This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks
                >> are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our
                >> threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system
                >> within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold."
                >>
                >> Could "statistics" refer to the several messages sent from my IP
                >> address to non-existent aol.com addresses within the last 24 hours?
                >
                > Yes. It looks like you sent too many messages to non-existent
                > mailboxes, and are therefore blacklisted for 24 hours after you stop
                > doing that. Or at least being deferred.
                >
                > You aren't lishwashing or anything, are you? Can't imagine they'd do
                > that for just a few of them.

                No way. I don't think I've seen more than a few bounces within the
                last day or two. Maybe it's too high of a percentage good mail to bad
                mail? I need to start disabling an email address when I get a bounce
                from it.

                - Grant