Recipient address rejected: aol.com

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
      Does this mean the email address doesn't exist?

      <example@...>: host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.161] said: 550 5.1.1
      <example@...>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com (in reply to
      RCPT TO command)

      - Grant
    • DTNX Postmaster
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
        On Aug 23, 2013, at 07:54, Grant <emailgrant@...> wrote:

        > Does this mean the email address doesn't exist?
        >
        > <example@...>: host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.161] said: 550 5.1.1
        > <example@...>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com (in reply to
        > RCPT TO command)

        Yes, it should mean exactly that;

        X.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address

        The mailbox specified in the address does not exist. For
        Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left
        of the "@" sign is invalid. This code is only useful for
        permanent failures.

        Mvg,
        Joni
      • King Cao
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
          It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).

          However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.

          Regards,
          King

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
            On Aug 23, 2013, at 09:25, King Cao <speedjing@...> wrote:

            > It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).
            >
            > However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.

            http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php

            The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
            rejection results in a different return code.

            Mvg,
            Joni

            --

            > 2013/8/23 DTNX Postmaster <postmaster@...>
            > On Aug 23, 2013, at 07:54, Grant <emailgrant@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Does this mean the email address doesn't exist?
            > >
            > > <example@...>: host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.161] said: 550 5.1.1
            > > <example@...>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com (in reply to
            > > RCPT TO command)
            >

            > Yes, it should mean exactly that;
            > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3463#section-3.2
            >
            > X.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address
            >
            > The mailbox specified in the address does not exist. For
            > Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left
            > of the "@" sign is invalid. This code is only useful for
            > permanent failures.
            >
            > Mvg,
            > Joni
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
              >> It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).
              >>
              >> However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.
              >
              > http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php
              >
              > The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
              > rejection results in a different return code.

              I originally started this thread because I received several "Recipient
              address rejected" bounces from different aol.com addresses in the last
              24 hours. I have just now received this:

              Final-Recipient: rfc822;masked@...
              Action: delayed
              Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 4.3.2 - Not accepting messages at this time
              554-'5.7.1 : (RLY:B1)
              http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html' (delivery
              attempts: 0)

              That URL says the following which does sound like a policy violation:

              "This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks
              are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our
              threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system
              within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold."

              Could "statistics" refer to the several messages sent from my IP
              address to non-existent aol.com addresses within the last 24 hours?

              - Grant

              >> > Does this mean the email address doesn't exist?
              >> >
              >> > <example@...>: host mailin-04.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.161] said: 550 5.1.1
              >> > <example@...>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com (in reply to
              >> > RCPT TO command)
              >>

              >> Yes, it should mean exactly that;
              >> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3463#section-3.2
              >>
              >> X.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address
              >>
              >> The mailbox specified in the address does not exist. For
              >> Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left
              >> of the "@" sign is invalid. This code is only useful for
              >> permanent failures.
              >>
              >> Mvg,
              >> Joni
            • DTNX Postmaster
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013
                On Aug 23, 2013, at 12:16, Grant <emailgrant@...> wrote:

                >>> It depends on MTA. From the log, AOL may not use Postifx or customized the checking on RCPT_TO stage (PolicyD or milter, etc).
                >>>
                >>> However, the result is that AOL MTA don't accept it for your MAIL FROM, RCPT TO parameters.
                >>
                >> http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php
                >>
                >> The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
                >> rejection results in a different return code.
                >
                > I originally started this thread because I received several "Recipient
                > address rejected" bounces from different aol.com addresses in the last
                > 24 hours. I have just now received this:
                >
                > Final-Recipient: rfc822;masked@...
                > Action: delayed
                > Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 4.3.2 - Not accepting messages at this time
                > 554-'5.7.1 : (RLY:B1)
                > http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html' (delivery
                > attempts: 0)
                >
                > That URL says the following which does sound like a policy violation:
                >
                > "This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks
                > are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our
                > threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system
                > within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold."
                >
                > Could "statistics" refer to the several messages sent from my IP
                > address to non-existent aol.com addresses within the last 24 hours?

                Yes. It looks like you sent too many messages to non-existent
                mailboxes, and are therefore blacklisted for 24 hours after you stop
                doing that. Or at least being deferred.

                You aren't lishwashing or anything, are you? Can't imagine they'd do
                that for just a few of them.

                Mvg,
                Joni
              • Grant
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23, 2013

                  >>> http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php
                  >>>
                  >>> The AOL MTA rejects it because the mailbox does not exist. A policy
                  >>> rejection results in a different return code.
                  >>
                  >> I originally started this thread because I received several "Recipient
                  >> address rejected" bounces from different aol.com addresses in the last
                  >> 24 hours. I have just now received this:
                  >>
                  >> Final-Recipient: rfc822;masked@...
                  >> Action: delayed
                  >> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 4.3.2 - Not accepting messages at this time
                  >> 554-'5.7.1 : (RLY:B1)
                  >> http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlyb1.html' (delivery
                  >> attempts: 0)
                  >>
                  >> That URL says the following which does sound like a policy violation:
                  >>
                  >> "This error message is a dynamic block on our system. Dynamic blocks
                  >> are placed on an IP address when the IP's statistics break our
                  >> threshold. These are automated blocks that are removed by the system
                  >> within 24 hours once the complaints are again below the threshold."
                  >>
                  >> Could "statistics" refer to the several messages sent from my IP
                  >> address to non-existent aol.com addresses within the last 24 hours?
                  >
                  > Yes. It looks like you sent too many messages to non-existent
                  > mailboxes, and are therefore blacklisted for 24 hours after you stop
                  > doing that. Or at least being deferred.
                  >
                  > You aren't lishwashing or anything, are you? Can't imagine they'd do
                  > that for just a few of them.

                  No way. I don't think I've seen more than a few bounces within the
                  last day or two. Maybe it's too high of a percentage good mail to bad
                  mail? I need to start disabling an email address when I get a bounce
                  from it.

                  - Grant