Re: piping bounce service to external program

  • Brian Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2013
      Wietse,

      Thank you very much for your response. I'd mentioned that I'd tried this
      approach in my first message. You are, however, correct.

      I was misreading the maillog when I thought it was sending the message and
      well as hitting my script. I need to look at the daemon/queue/service that
      is logging the message instead of just assuming the to=<> field means that
      it was going out over SMTP.

      The thing I was missing, for history, are the following:

      1) With this method, the command line arguments to the script are not the
      original recipient; they are about the new recipient who is getting the
      bounce notification (the bounce_notice_recipient). This seems obvious now,
      after a break of a couple hours. After hitting my heads against it all
      morning I was fairly numb.

      2) The contents of the email are given to the script as standard input.
      This is well document all over the internet, but - since I kept thinking of
      this as the same as piping the bounce service - I missed the message
      contents completely and was just focusing on the macros passing arguments to
      the script.

      Thanks for pointing out the fields that I need to look for! That made my
      life significantly easier in this instance.

      Your help has been invaluable!