postfix content_filter source address

  • Jimmy Stewpot
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hello,

      I have recently done a deployment of Postfix 2.10. It seems that the behaviour of postfix has changed slightly in the way that it handles the content_filter variables in the configuration file. We are using content_filter to pass through the emails to Sophos PureMessage for UNIX like so.

      content_filter = smtp:[127.0.0.1]:2500

      On our old server (Redhat 5) when the content_filter line was in place the spam service would "just work" in that it would see the source and correctly process the emails as an external email.. However with the same version of Pure Message on a new version of Postfix we see that the system is seeing "localhost" as the from relay which means it goes through the localhost whitelist in the spam policy...

      Am I missing something in the new version of postfix or is that expected behaviour?

      Regards,

      Jimmy.
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2013
        On 8/20/2013 1:04 AM, Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have recently done a deployment of Postfix 2.10. It seems that the behaviour of postfix has changed slightly in the way that it handles the content_filter variables in the configuration file. We are using content_filter to pass through the emails to Sophos PureMessage for UNIX like so.
        >
        > content_filter = smtp:[127.0.0.1]:2500

        Is this the verbatim line you used on the RHEL5 box?

        > On our old server (Redhat 5) when the content_filter line was in place the spam service would "just work" in that it would see the source and correctly process the emails as an external email.. However with the same version of Pure Message on a new version of Postfix we see that the system is seeing "localhost" as the from relay which means it goes through the localhost whitelist in the spam policy...

        "seeing 'localhost' as the from relay"

        What was seen previously where you now see "localhost"?

        > Am I missing something in the new version of postfix or is that expected behaviour?

        This is a fresh Postfix install not an upgrade, correct? New
        main/master.cf? Parameters copy/pasted? I'm guessing you simply missed
        something when creating the new main/master.cf. It would be nice to see
        your 'postconf -n' output, and any service definitions that exist for
        the Sophos program.

        --
        Stan
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2013
          Jimmy Stewpot:
          > content_filter = smtp:[127.0.0.1]:2500
          >
          > [...] However with the same version of Pure Message on a new version
          > of Postfix we see that the system is seeing "localhost" as the
          > from relay which means it goes through the localhost whitelist in
          > the spam policy...

          On all systems that I know, a connection TO the loopback network
          (127.0.0.1) will appear to come FROM the loopback network. Ditto
          for other network interfaces. Same for Solaris, Linux, *BSD.

          Maybe the change is in the HOSTNAME that your system reports for
          127.0.0.1, for example some systems report localhost and other
          systems report localhost.localdomain. That is an /etc/hosts issue.

          This is easy enough to verify from the command line.