Re: Auto reply/notice

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2013
      On 8/15/2013 1:33 PM, John Allen wrote:

      > Now I think I will add all the people that I KNOW I do not want to
      > hear from to the sender checks.
      > Would it be better simple reject or use a the code 521.

      A regular "REJECT text..." with a helpful message is fine. 521 is
      for rejecting with extreme prejudice.

      -- Noel Jones
    • Charles Marcus
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2013
        On 2013-08-15 2:33 PM, John Allen <john@...> wrote:

        On 15/08/2013 12:54 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
        You can use the error: transport to send a custom reject message for
        any mail sent to that domain.

        # transport
        example.com   error:I'm retired, business closed. Personal email
        foo@...  Thanks for all the fish.

        (the above is basically what the "relocated" feature does, it just
        responds "user has moved to {your text here}" where your text can be
        just about anything, not necessarily an email address)

        But a common problem is that end-users often don't read the delivery
        error messages -- and some mail systems hide the message from the user.

        Generally best to avoid autoresponders when possible, since they
        also respond to spam with a forged sender address.

        That said, if not much spam makes it to your mailbox you can look at
        the "vacation" program included with many systems.

        I should have indicated in my original post that my LDA is Dovecot.

        Doesn't matter, you can still use the transport method Noel described, and as he said, it is much better than using any kind of 'vacation' responder (including dovecot's sieve vacation module)...

        --

        Best regards,

        Charles
      • John Allen
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2013
          >> I am trying to retire and close down my business.
          >>
          >> I have informed all of my closest associates and those who I wish to
          >> continue correspondence with have been given my personal contact
          >> information.
          >> However, I am still getting a fairly large amount of email at my
          >> business address, I had thought of using the "relocated" list to
          >> just tell everybody to b... off, but I am a little worried that
          >> there might be some contacts that I have missed.
          > You can use the error: transport to send a custom reject message for
          > any mail sent to that domain.
          >
          > # transport
          > example.com error:I'm retired, business closed. Personal email
          > foo@... Thanks for all the fish.
          >
          > (the above is basically what the "relocated" feature does, it just
          > responds "user has moved to {your text here}" where your text can be
          > just about anything, not necessarily an email address)
          >
          > But a common problem is that end-users often don't read the delivery
          > error messages -- and some mail systems hide the message from the user.
          >

          >> Does anybody know of a way of receiving the mail and sending an
          >> automatic reply/notice. It would need to apply only to the business
          >> domain(s).
          > Generally best to avoid autoresponders when possible, since they
          > also respond to spam with a forged sender address.
          >
          > That said, if not much spam makes it to your mailbox you can look at
          > the "vacation" program included with many systems.
          >

          > Best wishes,
          >

          > -- Noel Jones
          Thanks for all the help. I have used a combination of
          check_sender_access where I can add the people/domains I know I don't
          want to hear from and dovecot sieve to send a message those who I might
          want to stay in contact with.
          Special thanks to Noel Jones for the text of my error message.