RE: greylist.db corruption

  • Niclas Arndt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013

      > Subject: Re: greylist.db corruption
      > To: postfix-users@...
      > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:44:41 -0400
      > From: wietse@...
      >
      > Niclas Arndt:
      > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I hope I am right to post this here.
      > >
      > > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
      > > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
      > > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
      > > 12.3).
      >
      > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
      > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
      > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
      >
      > Wietse

      Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)

      It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

      Kind regards

      Niclas
    • James Griffin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
        ................Fri 2.Aug'13 at 11:02:46 +0200, Niclas Arndt................

        > > Subject: Re: greylist.db corruption
        > > To: postfix-users@...
        > > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:44:41 -0400
        > > From: wietse@...
        > >
        > > Niclas Arndt:
        > > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > I hope I am right to post this here.
        > > >
        > > > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
        > > > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
        > > > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
        > > > 12.3).
        > >
        > > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
        > > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
        > > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
        > >
        > > Wietse
        >
        > Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
        >
        > It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?
        >
        > Kind regards
        >
        > Niclas

        Just use postscreen. It's the most effective method. postfix 2.8 +

        James Griffin: jmz at kontrol.kode5.net

        A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
          Niclas Arndt:
          > > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
          > > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
          > > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
          > >
          > > Wietse
          >
          > Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
          >
          > It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

          postgrey is a popular implementation.

          Wietse
        • LuKreme
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
            On 02 Aug 2013, at 12:43 , Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

            > Niclas Arndt:
            >>> Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
            >>> Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
            >>> DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
            >>>
            >>> Wietse
            >>
            >> Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
            >>
            >> It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

            What's wrong with just using Post Screen? It does what postgrey does, and more. And *much* more efficiently.

            > postgrey is a popular implementation.

            I stopped using postgrey because I found it too bothersome to configure with the various Internet-incompetent companies that do things like retry from different servers or never retry at all. I was spending much too much time fixing broken hosts.

            --
            "I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way."