Re: greylist.db corruption

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
      Niclas Arndt:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I hope I am right to post this here.
      >
      > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
      > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
      > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
      > 12.3).

      Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
      Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
      DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.

      Wietse
    • Niclas Arndt
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013

        > Subject: Re: greylist.db corruption
        > To: postfix-users@...
        > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:44:41 -0400
        > From: wietse@...
        >
        > Niclas Arndt:
        > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I hope I am right to post this here.
        > >
        > > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
        > > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
        > > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
        > > 12.3).
        >
        > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
        > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
        > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
        >
        > Wietse

        Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)

        It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

        Kind regards

        Niclas
      • James Griffin
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
          ................Fri 2.Aug'13 at 11:02:46 +0200, Niclas Arndt................

          > > Subject: Re: greylist.db corruption
          > > To: postfix-users@...
          > > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:44:41 -0400
          > > From: wietse@...
          > >
          > > Niclas Arndt:
          > > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > I hope I am right to post this here.
          > > >
          > > > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
          > > > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
          > > > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
          > > > 12.3).
          > >
          > > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
          > > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
          > > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
          > >
          > > Wietse
          >
          > Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
          >
          > It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?
          >
          > Kind regards
          >
          > Niclas

          Just use postscreen. It's the most effective method. postfix 2.8 +

          James Griffin: jmz at kontrol.kode5.net

          A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
            Niclas Arndt:
            > > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
            > > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
            > > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
            > >
            > > Wietse
            >
            > Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
            >
            > It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

            postgrey is a popular implementation.

            Wietse
          • LuKreme
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
              On 02 Aug 2013, at 12:43 , Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

              > Niclas Arndt:
              >>> Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
              >>> Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
              >>> DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
              >>>
              >>> Wietse
              >>
              >> Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
              >>
              >> It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

              What's wrong with just using Post Screen? It does what postgrey does, and more. And *much* more efficiently.

              > postgrey is a popular implementation.

              I stopped using postgrey because I found it too bothersome to configure with the various Internet-incompetent companies that do things like retry from different servers or never retry at all. I was spending much too much time fixing broken hosts.

              --
              "I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way."