greylist.db corruption

  • Niclas Arndt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
      Hi,

      I hope I am right to post this here.

      I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current 12.3).

      If I place the Spamhaus lookup before the policy check, I seem to be safe. However, I suspect that this puts an unnecessary load on Spamhaus, so I would like to first check the greylist policy and then do the Spamhaus lookup, but this causes greylist.db corruption.

      Am I doing it wrong or am I receiving a new type of spam messages or transmission patterns that cause corruption? Has anybody else noticed this lately?

      Kind regards

      Niclas
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
        Niclas Arndt:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I hope I am right to post this here.
        >
        > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
        > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
        > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
        > 12.3).

        Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
        Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
        DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.

        Wietse
      • Niclas Arndt
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013

          > Subject: Re: greylist.db corruption
          > To: postfix-users@...
          > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:44:41 -0400
          > From: wietse@...
          >
          > Niclas Arndt:
          > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I hope I am right to post this here.
          > >
          > > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
          > > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
          > > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
          > > 12.3).
          >
          > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
          > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
          > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
          >
          > Wietse

          Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)

          It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

          Kind regards

          Niclas
        • James Griffin
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
            ................Fri 2.Aug'13 at 11:02:46 +0200, Niclas Arndt................

            > > Subject: Re: greylist.db corruption
            > > To: postfix-users@...
            > > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:44:41 -0400
            > > From: wietse@...
            > >
            > > Niclas Arndt:
            > > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > I hope I am right to post this here.
            > > >
            > > > I use openSUSE 12.3 with Postfix and the basic greylist.pl policy
            > > > and Spamhaus lookup. The last few months I have had problems with
            > > > greylist.db corruption (both in old openSUSE 11.3 and current
            > > > 12.3).
            > >
            > > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
            > > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
            > > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
            > >
            > > Wietse
            >
            > Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
            >
            > It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?
            >
            > Kind regards
            >
            > Niclas

            Just use postscreen. It's the most effective method. postfix 2.8 +

            James Griffin: jmz at kontrol.kode5.net

            A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
              Niclas Arndt:
              > > Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
              > > Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
              > > DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
              > >
              > > Wietse
              >
              > Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
              >
              > It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

              postgrey is a popular implementation.

              Wietse
            • LuKreme
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2013
                On 02 Aug 2013, at 12:43 , Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

                > Niclas Arndt:
                >>> Which greylist program are you using? The one bundled with
                >>> Postfix has been tested only with the default *BSD Berkeley
                >>> DB implementation (db1.85). It should probably be retired.
                >>>
                >>> Wietse
                >>
                >> Thanks Wietse. I'm using the one bundled with Postfix. openSUSE 12.3 is on db4.8.3. ;-)
                >>
                >> It sounds like I should change to another greylist. Which would you recommend?

                What's wrong with just using Post Screen? It does what postgrey does, and more. And *much* more efficiently.

                > postgrey is a popular implementation.

                I stopped using postgrey because I found it too bothersome to configure with the various Internet-incompetent companies that do things like retry from different servers or never retry at all. I was spending much too much time fixing broken hosts.

                --
                "I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way."