Re: Deferred mail and transports and retries

  • Abhijeet Rastogi
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
      Hi Micheal,

      Thanks for your reply. Actually, the issue was I was just writing the mail and it got Sent by mistake. (But, then reading the mail I thought that the message was conveyed.)

      The issue is, why does postfix retry the second time instantly (within 1 sec)? Shouldn't postfix wait till the next deferred queue scan happens? (I'm talking about backoff time etc). It tries the delivery 2 times within 1 sec. My understanding says that it should wait till the minimum backoff time.

      On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Michael P. Demelbauer <michael.demelbauer@...> wrote:
      On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:16:15PM +0530, Abhijeet Rastogi wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > 1. If a mail is temporarily deferred from a remote MTA, postfix should
      > back-off instantly for some time but I observed this today.
      >
      > Jul 24 06:40:16 server.name postfix-smtp4/smtp[6204]: DEC8B4F0185: host
      > mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[98.138.112.35] refused to talk to me: 421 4.7.0
      > [GL01] Message from (1.2.3.4) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50. Please refer
      > to http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-21.html
      > Jul 24 06:40:16 server.name postfix-smtp4/smtp[6204]: DEC8B4F0185: host
      > mta6.am0.yahoodns.net[63.250.192.46] refused to talk to me: 421 4.7.0
      > [GL01] Message from (1.2.3.4) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50. Please refer
      > to http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-21.html
      >
      > Can anyone explain why would this happen?

      It's kind of explained in
      http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-21.html (and Links from
      there)

      You get this, because there were complaints of Yahoo!-Users, that they
      don't want some of the mails your mailserver sends.

      Michael

      --
      Michael P. Demelbauer
      Systemadministration

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
        Abhijeet Rastogi:
        > The issue is, why does postfix retry the second time instantly (within 1
        > sec)? Shouldn't postfix wait till the next deferred queue scan happens?

        No, this is not required. If you disagree, please point out in
        the SMTP standard, RTFM RFC 5321, where Postfix is in error.

        Wietse
      • Abhijeet Rastogi
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
          Hi Wietse,

          Thanks for you reply. I may be wrong but I just know what I read in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.4

          >  The sender MUST delay retrying a particular destination after one
          >  attempt has failed.  In general, the retry interval SHOULD be at
          >   least 30 minutes; however, more sophisticated and variable strategies
          >   will be beneficial when the SMTP client can determine the reason for
          >   non-delivery.

          Can you help me understand as to where I'm wrong? It says that after one attempt is made, it should delay the next retry.
          Is it like, all MXs (ip addresses) are tried in one go before actually deferring a mail?

          Thanks in advance.

          Abhijeet Rastogi:

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
            Abhijeet Rastogi:
            > Hi Wietse,
            >
            > Thanks for you reply. I may be wrong but I just know what I read in
            > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.4
            >
            > > The sender MUST delay retrying a particular destination after one
            > > attempt has failed. In general, the retry interval SHOULD be at

            According to RFC 5321 section 5.1, the sending host should try at
            least two delivery addresses.

            Quote:

            When the lookup succeeds, the mapping can result in a list of
            alternative delivery addresses rather than a single address,
            because of multiple MX records, multihoming, or both. To provide
            reliable mail transmission, the SMTP client MUST be able to try
            (and retry) each of the relevant addresses in this list in order,
            until a delivery attempt succeeds. However, there MAY also be
            a configurable limit on the number of alternate addresses that
            can be tried. In any case, the SMTP client SHOULD try at least
            two addresses.

            If you believe that Postfix should wait between the attempts to
            connect to the first and the second MX address, then you are in
            error.

            Wietse
          • Peer Heinlein
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
              Am 25.07.2013 09:52, schrieb Abhijeet Rastogi:

              > The issue is, why does postfix retry the second time instantly (within 1
              > sec)? Shouldn't postfix wait till the next deferred queue scan happens?

              Because that's best Postfix can do. Because Postfix SHOULD do that:

              *) Because if on MX is down, the second one could/should be up and
              running, so why shouldn't Postfix use it
              *) Because Postfix isn't interested in wasting resources and storing
              deliverable e-mails in the deferred queue
              *) Because the sender wants to have delivered his e-mail fast without
              unnecessary delays
              *) Because the recupient wants to receive his e-mails quickly without
              unnecessary delays

              If you believe that deferring e-mails and wasting time is helpful, then use

              smtp_mx_address_limit = 1
              smtp_mx_session_limit = 1

              but don't complain about delays.

              Peer

              --
              Heinlein Support GmbH
              Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin

              http://www.heinlein-support.de

              Tel: 030 / 405051-42
              Fax: 030 / 405051-19

              Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht
              Berlin-Charlottenburg,
            • Abhijeet Rastogi
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
                Hi Wietse,

                This helps. Half reading is always bad. This clears everything about my doubt.

                One other thing still remains. I've multiple smtp services defined like this. (in master.cf, to use different IPs, selected randomly)

                ob-smtp1   unix    -       -       n       -       -     smtp
                  -o smtp_bind_address=1.2.3.4
                  -o syslog_name=postfix-smtp1
                ob-smtp2   unix    -       -       n       -       -     smtp
                  -o smtp_bind_address=5.6.7.8
                  -o syslog_name=postfix-smtp2

                I suppose that if a message delivered via one of the transport and deferred, it'll always be tried via the same "smtp service". Is there a possibility where I can change the smtp service while retrying for a already deferred mail?

                Abhijeet Rastogi:

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 26, 2013
                  Abhijeet Rastogi:
                  > Hi Wietse,
                  >
                  > This helps. Half reading is always bad. This clears everything about my
                  > doubt.
                  >
                  > One other thing still remains. I've multiple smtp services defined like
                  > this. (in master.cf, to use different IPs, selected randomly)
                  >
                  > ob-smtp1 unix - - n - - smtp
                  > -o smtp_bind_address=1.2.3.4
                  > -o syslog_name=postfix-smtp1
                  > ob-smtp2 unix - - n - - smtp
                  > -o smtp_bind_address=5.6.7.8
                  > -o syslog_name=postfix-smtp2
                  >
                  > I suppose that if a message delivered via one of the transport and
                  > deferred, it'll always be tried via the same "smtp service". Is there a
                  > possibility where I can change the smtp service while retrying for a
                  > already deferred mail?

                  You can specify an alternate MTA (with smtp_fallback_relay) for
                  delayed mail. There is no feature to specify an alternate delivery
                  agent for delayed mail.

                  The example looks like an attempt to circumvent Yahoo etc. rate
                  limits per client IP address. I don't have to make that "easy"
                  with Postfix.

                  Wietse
                • Abhijeet Rastogi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 26, 2013
                    You can specify an alternate MTA (with smtp_fallback_relay) for
                    delayed mail.  There is no feature to specify an alternate delivery
                    agent for delayed mail.

                    Hmm, I was aware of that thing.  I've not used this feature but it's definitely worth trying.

                    The example looks like an attempt to circumvent Yahoo etc. rate
                    limits per client IP address.  I don't have to make that "easy"
                    with Postfix.

                    It's not about me trying to do spam. I'm part of a hosting company and sometimes our IPs get blocked temporarily when our outbound spam system stops performing for some odd reason.

                    Thanks for the help.