Re: allow some senders, but block everyone else

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 23, 2013
      Florin Andrei:
      > I apologize for not being more specific at the beginning. I appreciate
      > the fact that support is offered here freely for everyone, it's a great
      > help.
      >
      > I am getting the impression that it's not possible to make routing
      > decisions based on sender *before* making decisions based on recipient.
      > AFAICT, the transport table will override my
      > sender_dependent_default_transport_maps stuff no matter what.

      As documented under sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
      "This information is overruled with the transport(5) table".

      That is why my example used sender_dependent_default_transport_maps
      to bounce external mail from users who aren't permitted to send to
      non-local destinations, and used transport_maps to override the
      error: destination for local domains so that they would not bounce.

      I spent some 15 minutes researching that solution based on the then
      current version of your problem description, and that is all the
      time that I will put into this thread.

      Wietse
    • Florin Andrei
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
        I solved my routing problem... by switching to Exim. :)

        Arbitrary routing decisions can be implemented by simply daisy-chaining
        routers in a config file. It's actually surprising how easy it is to
        read the whole logic at once just by glancing at one file. Almost like
        pseudo-code.

        Their users list was also very helpful, and the overall tone of the
        discussion was friendly and non-dismissive towards this complete Exim
        newbie. That was a pretty stark contrast.

        I've been using Postfix for over a decade now, and I thought I could do
        anything with it (provided that enough research and tests are
        performed), but I was amazed how much easier it was to solve a complex
        problem like this with Exim.

        --
        Florin Andrei
        http://florin.myip.org/