Re: allow some senders, but block everyone else

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2013
      Florin Andrei:
      > On 07/22/2013 05:30 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > > Florin Andrei:
      > >>
      > >> The goal is to send most emails to local, send most mydomain.com
      > >> recipients to a relay nearby, and let foobardomain.com senders go out on
      > >> the Internet freely.
      > >
      > > Presumably, if foobardomain.com senders send mail to local or
      > > mydomain.com recipients, then that mail should also not go to the
      > > Internet.
      >
      > No, it's the other way round. foobardomain.com will typically send
      > emails to addresses unrelated to mydomain.com or local accounts.
      >
      > Here's the complete logic (I should have spelled it out from the beginning):

      Yes, you should have. Although Postfix support is free, that doesn't
      mean that you can waste it as if it is in unlimited supply.

      Wietse
    • Florin Andrei
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 23, 2013
        I apologize for not being more specific at the beginning. I appreciate
        the fact that support is offered here freely for everyone, it's a great
        help.

        I am getting the impression that it's not possible to make routing
        decisions based on sender *before* making decisions based on recipient.
        AFAICT, the transport table will override my
        sender_dependent_default_transport_maps stuff no matter what.

        Is there a way to achieve sender-based routing before any
        recipient-based decision is made?

        --
        Florin Andrei
        http://florin.myip.org/
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23, 2013
          On Jul 23, 2013, at 22:25, Florin Andrei <florin@...> wrote:

          > I apologize for not being more specific at the beginning. I appreciate the fact that support is offered here freely for everyone, it's a great help.
          >
          > I am getting the impression that it's not possible to make routing decisions based on sender *before* making decisions based on recipient. AFAICT, the transport table will override my sender_dependent_default_transport_maps stuff no matter what.
          >
          > Is there a way to achieve sender-based routing before any recipient-based decision is made?

          IIRC, you wanted to do this complicated thing to avoid spamming the
          Internet at large when you run your test suite?

          Would changing your test suite so it does not spam be the better
          option, and deliver more reliable results? As in, send only to your
          test accounts on Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail and whatnot in limited
          amounts, or to an external VPS or something similar that you spin up
          for this purpose?

          Mvg,
          Joni
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 23, 2013
            Florin Andrei:
            > I apologize for not being more specific at the beginning. I appreciate
            > the fact that support is offered here freely for everyone, it's a great
            > help.
            >
            > I am getting the impression that it's not possible to make routing
            > decisions based on sender *before* making decisions based on recipient.
            > AFAICT, the transport table will override my
            > sender_dependent_default_transport_maps stuff no matter what.

            As documented under sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
            "This information is overruled with the transport(5) table".

            That is why my example used sender_dependent_default_transport_maps
            to bounce external mail from users who aren't permitted to send to
            non-local destinations, and used transport_maps to override the
            error: destination for local domains so that they would not bounce.

            I spent some 15 minutes researching that solution based on the then
            current version of your problem description, and that is all the
            time that I will put into this thread.

            Wietse
          • Florin Andrei
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25, 2013
              I solved my routing problem... by switching to Exim. :)

              Arbitrary routing decisions can be implemented by simply daisy-chaining
              routers in a config file. It's actually surprising how easy it is to
              read the whole logic at once just by glancing at one file. Almost like
              pseudo-code.

              Their users list was also very helpful, and the overall tone of the
              discussion was friendly and non-dismissive towards this complete Exim
              newbie. That was a pretty stark contrast.

              I've been using Postfix for over a decade now, and I thought I could do
              anything with it (provided that enough research and tests are
              performed), but I was amazed how much easier it was to solve a complex
              problem like this with Exim.

              --
              Florin Andrei
              http://florin.myip.org/