Catchall Mailbox and deliver to original recipient

  • James Day
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2013
      Hello list,

      I have a question regarding virtual alias maps.

      I currently implement this table to allow me to keep an offsite copy of all incoming mails for users in the following manner

      user@... user@...,user@...

      So the user will receive the original message and a copy will sent to the offsite mailbox (Which has webmail access).

      The idea being that if their local mail server dies a terrible death then they still have access to incoming mail via the webmail.

      Now I have a domain where they would like to implement a catchall mailbox for their offsite access.

      If this was the only delivery location I'd do something like:

      @... catchall@...

      However I would still like the original recipient to receive a copy of the message.

      Short of listing all the user accounts and aliasing them all to the catchall mailbox is there any variable I can use to alias the message back to it's original recipient as well?

      The wording on that is inelegant so perhaps I should put an example of what I am trying to achieve:

      @... $user@...,catchall@...

      So if a message were to come into john.smith@... it would be aliased to john.smith@... and catchall@...

      Thanks in advance.

      Kind regards,

      James Day
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2013
        On 7/19/2013 8:12 AM, James Day wrote:
        > Hello list,
        >
        > I have a question regarding virtual alias maps.
        >
        > I currently implement this table to allow me to keep an offsite copy of all incoming mails for users in the following manner
        >

        > user@... user@...,user@...
        >
        > So the user will receive the original message and a copy will sent to the offsite mailbox (Which has webmail access).
        >
        > The idea being that if their local mail server dies a terrible death then they still have access to incoming mail via the webmail.
        >
        > Now I have a domain where they would like to implement a catchall mailbox for their offsite access.
        >
        > If this was the only delivery location I'd do something like:
        >
        > @... catchall@...
        >
        > However I would still like the original recipient to receive a copy of the message.

        You're probably looking for:
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#recipient_bcc_maps

        a quick example:

        # main.cf
        recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_bcc

        # recipient_bcc
        @... catchall@...