Possibly deprecated parameters

  • Mgr. Peter Tuharsky, MsU Banska Bystrica
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19 3:18 AM
      Hi,

      I'm new to the list. I'm searching for some information on suppossedly
      deprecated parameters, however I couldn't find anything.

      I have upgraded Debian Squeeze (Postfix 2.7.1) to Wheezy (Postfix
      2.9.6). I'm using previous configuration files. Now the new Postfix
      complains:

      /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter:
      smtp_tls_received_header=yes
      /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter:
      proxy_interface=195.80.161.10

      Howto's from before 2009 mention the proxy_interface parameter as being
      important. I don't find anythink about being deprecated or so.

      The smtp_tls_received_headers parameter is taken from an old (2007) book
      on Postfix.

      Please, are these parameters unnecessarry now, or are they superseded by
      some new ones?

      Thank You

      Peter
    • staticsafe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19 3:41 AM
        On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:18:24PM +0200, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky, MsU Banska Bystrica wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm new to the list. I'm searching for some information on suppossedly
        > deprecated parameters, however I couldn't find anything.
        >
        > I have upgraded Debian Squeeze (Postfix 2.7.1) to Wheezy (Postfix
        > 2.9.6). I'm using previous configuration files. Now the new Postfix
        > complains:
        >
        > /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter:
        > smtp_tls_received_header=yes
        > /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter:
        > proxy_interface=195.80.161.10
        >
        > Howto's from before 2009 mention the proxy_interface parameter as being
        > important. I don't find anythink about being deprecated or so.
        >
        > The smtp_tls_received_headers parameter is taken from an old (2007) book
        > on Postfix.
        >
        > Please, are these parameters unnecessarry now, or are they superseded by
        > some new ones?
        >
        > Thank You
        >
        > Peter

        You have a typo in one of them.

        proxy_interfaces (default: empty)

        The network interface addresses that this mail system receives mail on by way of a proxy or network address translation unit.

        This feature is available in Postfix 2.0 and later.

        You must specify your "outside" proxy/NAT addresses when your system is a backup MX host for other domains, otherwise mail delivery loops will happen when the primary MX host is down.

        Example:

        proxy_interfaces = 1.2.3.4

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#proxy_interfaces

        smtp_tls_received_header doesn't even exist in the postconf docs.
        --
        staticsafe
        Please don't top post.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 19 3:45 AM
          Oh another typo, I suppose:

          smtpd_tls_received_header (default: no)

          Request that the Postfix SMTP server produces Received: message headers that include information about the protocol and cipher used, as well as the remote SMTP client CommonName and client certificate issuer CommonName. This is disabled by default, as the information may be modified in transit through other mail servers. Only information that was recorded by the final destination can be trusted.

          This feature is available in Postfix 2.2 and later.

          --
          staticsafe
          Please don't top post.
          Please don't CC! I'm subscribed to whatever list I just posted on.
        • Patrick Ben Koetter
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19 4:05 AM
            * staticsafe <me@...>:
            > Oh another typo, I suppose:
            >
            > smtpd_tls_received_header (default: no)

            There's also smtp_tls_received_header.

            p@rick

            --
            [*] sys4 AG

            http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
            Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

          • Patrick Ben Koetter
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19 4:11 AM
              * Patrick Ben Koetter <postfix-users@...>:
              > * staticsafe <me@...>:
              > > Oh another typo, I suppose:
              > >
              > > smtpd_tls_received_header (default: no)
              >
              > There's also smtp_tls_received_header.

              Of course there isn't. Excuse the noise. I'll go hiding in a deep dark hole. :/

              p@rick

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19 5:04 AM
                Thank You, both were probably a typo. After correcting, Postfix stopped
                complaining.

                (Well, they were probably not so important, since postfix was running
                fine for 5 years now :-)

                Peter

                Dňa 19.07.2013 13:11, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote / napísal(a):
                > * Patrick Ben Koetter <postfix-users@...>:
                >> * staticsafe <me@...>:
                >>> Oh another typo, I suppose:
                >>>
                >>> smtpd_tls_received_header (default: no)
                >>
                >> There's also smtp_tls_received_header.
                >
                > Of course there isn't. Excuse the noise. I'll go hiding in a deep dark hole. :/
                >
                > p@rick

              • Jeroen Geilman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 19 1:59 PM
                  On 07/19/2013 02:04 PM, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky, MsU Banska Bystrica wrote:
                  > Thank You, both were probably a typo. After correcting, Postfix stopped
                  > complaining.
                  >
                  > (Well, they were probably not so important, since postfix was running
                  > fine for 5 years now :-)

                  As documented, postfix 2.9 introduced main.cf checks for unused
                  user-defined parameters.
                  A typo in a real parameter will always match that test.

                  The typoed parameters were always ineffectual, since they don't exist,
                  but your postfix versions pre-2.9 did not alert you to this fact.

                  --
                  J.