Mails not delivered to maildir.

  • Krzysztof Szarlej
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
      Hey guys i am a little bit frustrated with my postfix. I installed it and configured (first time im new to linux actually). When im sending a message via telnet it seems like everything is ok:

      [root@mail Maildir]# telnet localhost 25
      Trying ::1...
      Connected to localhost.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      220 mail.szarlej.eu ESMTP Postfix
      mail from: root
      250 2.1.0 Ok
      rcpt to: info
      250 2.1.5 Ok
      data
      354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
      testdata
      .
      250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 6732028E172E
      quit
      221 2.0.0 Bye
      Connection closed by foreign host.

      # tail /var/log/maillog

      Jul 18 21:06:34 mail postfix/local[633]: 22D9928E172F: to=<root@...>, orig_to=<info>, relay=local, delay=19, delays=19/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to maildir)
      Jul 18 21:06:34 mail postfix/qmgr[490]: 22D9928E172F: removed
      Jul 18 21:06:37 mail postfix/smtpd[628]: disconnect from localhost[::1]

      seems like it should be in the user info maildir but # ls /home/info/Maildir/new return total 0

      I cant see the messages also in /var/spool/mail

      # hostname

      Thanks in advance for your help!

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
        On 7/18/2013 2:12 PM, Krzysztof Szarlej wrote:
        > Hey guys i am a little bit frustrated with my postfix. I installed
        > it and configured (first time im new to linux actually). When im
        > sending a message via telnet it seems like everything is ok:
        >
        > [root@mail Maildir]# telnet localhost 25
        > Trying ::1...
        > Connected to localhost.
        > Escape character is '^]'.
        > 220 mail.szarlej.eu <http://mail.szarlej.eu> ESMTP Postfix
        > mail from: root
        > 250 2.1.0 Ok
        > rcpt to: info
        > 250 2.1.5 Ok
        > data
        > 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
        > testdata
        > .
        > 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 6732028E172E
        > quit
        > 221 2.0.0 Bye
        > Connection closed by foreign host.
        >
        > # tail /var/log/maillog
        >
        > Jul 18 21:06:34 mail postfix/local[633]: 22D9928E172F:
        > to=<root@... <mailto:root@...>>, orig_to=<info>,
        > relay=local, delay=19, delays=19/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent
        > *(delivered to maildir)*
        > Jul 18 21:06:34 mail postfix/qmgr[490]: 22D9928E172F: removed
        > Jul 18 21:06:37 mail postfix/smtpd[628]: disconnect from localhost[::1]
        >
        > seems like it should be in the user info maildir but # ls
        > /home/info/Maildir/new return *total 0*
        > *
        > *
        > I cant see the messages also in */var/spool/mail*
        > *
        > *
        > main.cf <http://main.cf>: http://37.187.58.245/main.cf
        > master.cf <http://master.cf> http://37.187.58.245/master.cf
        > <http://37.187.58.245/main.cf>
        >
        > # hostname
        > mail.szarlej.eu <http://mail.szarlej.eu>
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help!

        [plain-text only please, not HTML]

        Looks as if your mail was delivered to root, not info.

        If you need more help, see

      • Krzysztof Szarlej
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
          I am sorry for not putting postconf -n:

          alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
          alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
          command_directory = /usr/sbin
          config_directory = /etc/postfix
          daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
          data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
          debug_peer_level = 2
          home_mailbox = Maildir/
          html_directory = no
          inet_interfaces = all
          inet_protocols = all
          mail_owner = postfix
          mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
          manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
          mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
          mydomain = szarlej.eu
          myhostname = mail.szarlej.eu
          myorigin = $mydomain
          queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
          readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES
          setgid_group = postdrop
          unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

          All the mails are in /root/Maildir/new directory

          Seems like the mails are not redirected properly to the users maildirs

        • Axel Luttgens
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
            Le 18 juil. 2013 à 21:42, Krzysztof Szarlej a écrit :

            > I am sorry for not putting postconf -n:
            >
            > [...]
            >
            > All the mails are in */root/Maildir/new* directory
            >
            > Seems like the mails are not redirected properly to the users maildirs

            Hello Krzysztof,

            What does your /etc/aliases file contain?

            Axel
          • Krzysztof Szarlej
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
              Here is my aliases file http://37.187.58.245/aliases.txt

              2013/7/18 Axel Luttgens <AxelLuttgens@...>
              Le 18 juil. 2013 à 21:42, Krzysztof Szarlej a écrit :

              > I am sorry for not putting postconf -n:
              >
              > [...]
              >
              > All the mails are in */root/Maildir/new* directory
              >
              > Seems like the mails are not redirected properly to the users maildirs

              Hello Krzysztof,

              What does your /etc/aliases file contain?

              Axel

            • Charles Marcus
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
                Please don't top post...

                On 2013-07-18 4:54 PM, Krzysztof Szarlej <kszarlej94@...> wrote:

                2013/7/18 Axel Luttgens <AxelLuttgens@...>
                Le 18 juil. 2013 à 21:42, Krzysztof Szarlej a écrit :

                > I am sorry for not putting postconf -n:
                >
                > [...]
                >
                > All the mails are in */root/Maildir/new* directory
                >
                > Seems like the mails are not redirected properly to the users maildirs

                Hello Krzysztof,

                What does your /etc/aliases file contain

                Here is my aliases file http://37.187.58.245/aliases.txt

                Please don't do that - just paste the contents directly in the email body (same for postconf -n output, etc)...

                Many people will not click links to unknown targets...
                --

                Best regards,

                Charles
              • lists@rhsoft.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
                  and it contains "info: postmaster" which defaults to root

                  >> mail from: root
                  >> 250 2.1.0 Ok
                  >> rcpt to: info
                  >> 250 2.1.5 Ok

                  *why* do you not use *full qualified* addresses for testing?

                  how do you come to that conclusion if your quote contains "to=<root@...>, orig_to=<info>"

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
                    On 2013-07-18 4:54 PM, Krzysztof Szarlej <kszarlej94@...> wrote:
                    Here is my aliases file http://37.187.58.245/aliases.txt

                    Please don't do that - just paste the contents directly in the email body (same for postconf -n output, etc)...

                    Many people will not click links to unknown targets...

                    That said... I did look at it, and wondering why you are confused...

                    info is plainly aliased to root, and root is NOT aliased to a real email address (best practice for mos email servers)...
                    --

                    Best regards,

                    Charles
                  • Axel Luttgens
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
                      Le 18 juil. 2013 à 22:54, Krzysztof Szarlej a écrit :

                      > Here is my aliases file
                      > http://37.187.58.245/aliases.txt<http://szarlej.eu/aliases.txt>

                      Thanks, Krzysztof.

                      So, the relevant lines in this case are:

                      info: postmaster
                      postmaster: root
                      #root: marc

                      and everything sent to info ends into root's mailbox...

                      HTH,
                      Axel
                    • Krzysztof Szarlej
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
                        Ok thank you guys and sorry for not reading the mailing list manual.

                        Now it works, I deleted the alias for info.

                        regards krzysztof

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 18, 2013
                          Am 18.07.2013 23:06, schrieb Krzysztof Szarlej:
                          > Ok thank you guys and sorry for not reading the mailing list manual

                          but why then continue top-posting?

                          > Now it works, I deleted the alias for info.

                          add "reject_non_fqdn_recipient" and "reject_non_fqdn_sender"
                          to "smtpd_recipient_restrictions" would bring you further

                          since this is for *smtp* it does not affect pickup per
                          (mail-command, cronjobs...) and prevents mistakes