Re: Error 550

  • Mauricio Tavares
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
      On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Roman Gelfand <rgelfand2@...> wrote:
      > would you have more info on this, as far as, how to go about researching this?
      >
      > Thanks again

      You probably will need to check the qmail server's log to see
      WTF is going on. If you stare at the log in the qmail server (not in
      the postfix server) and it does not make sense, you will need to hit a
      qmail-related mailing list/irc channel for help.

      If you are not the one running the qmail box, find who is and send the
      logs. And maybe paraphrase Stan's last reply.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
        Roman Gelfand:
        > I am sorry. I posted this only to Stan before. Looking at the
        > rejected line, it seems to be postfix/smtp.
        >
        > 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

        Wietse:
        > THAT is qmail not Postfix.

        Roman Gelfand:
        > would you have more info on this, as far as, how to go about
        > researching this?

        Ask the person responsible for this system why they reject this
        recipient.

        Wietse
      • Stan Hoeppner
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 18, 2013
          On 7/18/2013 7:44 AM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
          > would you have more info on this, as far as, how to go about researching this?

          What is left to research? The remote host told you the address doesn't
          exist. What more do you need to know?

          What is the -real- problem you are wanting to solve Roman?

          > Thanks again
          >
          > On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
          >> Roman Gelfand:
          >>> I am sorry. I posted this only to Stan before. Looking at the
          >>> rejected line, it seems to be postfix/smtp.
          >>>
          >>> host smtp.secuaid: 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected. (in reply to RCPT TO command)
          >>
          >> THAT is qmail not Postfix.
          >>
          >> Wietse
        • Roman Gelfand
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 19, 2013
            It appears that this message is a way that
            the target server responds to email not found.

            Thanks for everyone's help on this.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 19, 2013
              Roman Gelfand:
              > 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

              Wietse:
              > THAT is qmail not Postfix.

              Roman Gelfand:
              > would you have more info on this, as far as, how to go about
              > researching this?

              Wietse:
              > Ask the person responsible for this system why they reject this
              > recipient.

              Roman Gelfand:
              > It appears that this message is a way that the target server
              > responds to email not found.

              This appears to be a common "qmail patch" bug. The correct status
              code for "user unknown" is 5.1.1, not 5.1.0.

              Wietse

              RFC 3463:

              X.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address

              The mailbox specified in the address does not exist. For
              Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left
              of the "@" sign is invalid. This code is only useful for
              permanent failures.