Re: Can we change the NDR based on Error Message

  • Bill Cole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2013
      On 18 Jul 2013, at 1:06, tswmmeejsdad . wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Is there a way to change the NDR on postfix so that if we get an error
      > like
      > below where the MX record doesn't exist, customers get a NDR straight
      > away
      > instead of waiting the for the maximal_queue_lifetime which we have
      > set to
      > 3 days?
      >
      > maillog.1:Jul 11 15:19:36 MyMailServer postfix/smtp[22320]:
      > 610865A761: to=<
      > abc.xyz@...>, relay=none, delay=8.6, delays=0.04/0/8.6/0,
      > dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name
      > service
      > error for name=wilsonhtm.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

      Postfix is open source, so there's a way to make it do anything. If you
      know how to write C. :)

      In this case, you are asking for something that should not be done. In
      this case the problem is not really that there is no MX record, since
      there is an A record to fall back to, but rather that the nameservers
      which are supposed to be authoritative for wilsonhtm.com are replying to
      queries with answers that are not marked as authoritative. Downstream
      from them, recursive resolvers translate that into a reply to clients
      such as Postfix equivalent to an unresponsive authoritative server.
      Because Postfix relies on the OS resolver and can't examine every
      possible nuance of DNS breakage, it *wisely* treats such transient DNS
      errors as transient. The failure to find a MX for wilsonhtm.com is in
      DNS plumbing, not in the essentially unknowable DNS records for the
      domain.

      The solution to your problem offered in Postfix isn't an immediate
      bounce, but rather a delay warning. Those are off by default, but if you
      set delay_warning_time to a non-zero value it will result in the
      classical Sendmail-like behavior of sending users delayed message
      warnings that cannot be expected to comprehend. I sincerely wish you
      good luck with that.