Setting Up FallBack Transport

  • HanniBaL
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
      Hi,

      When reading the documentations about this feature, it's explained that it
      can be used to delivery mail for user that dont't exist under postfix but
      maybe exist in other system, this is why we specify a smtp server to serve
      thoses users.

      I'm trying to setup a split delivery with Google Apps / Postfix, i.e users
      are first delivered to Google Apps, if a user don't exist on Google Apps,
      the mail is relayed to Postfix.

      This is why, I'm trying to setup a fallback transport for a virtual domain,
      under ZPanel/Postfix (Postfix version : 2.9.1), i.e when Postfix don't find
      a user locally it will relay mails to Google Apps server.

      I tried to setup the parameter fallback_transport like this :

      fallback_transport= smtp : aspmx.l.google.com

      But it doesn't work, why ? i don't know.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
        HanniBaL:
        > Hi,
        >
        > When reading the documentations about this feature, it's explained that it
        > can be used to delivery mail for user that dont't exist under postfix but
        > maybe exist in other system, this is why we specify a smtp server to serve
        > thoses users.
        >
        > I'm trying to setup a split delivery with Google Apps / Postfix, i.e users
        > are first delivered to Google Apps, if a user don't exist on Google Apps,
        > the mail is relayed to Postfix.
        >
        > This is why, I'm trying to setup a fallback transport for a virtual domain,
        > under ZPanel/Postfix (Postfix version : 2.9.1), i.e when Postfix don't find
        > a user locally it will relay mails to Google Apps server.
        >
        > I tried to setup the parameter fallback_transport like this :
        >
        > fallback_transport= smtp : aspmx.l.google.com
        >
        > But it doesn't work, why ? i don't know.

        Thank you for using Postfix.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
          On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 07:07:55AM -0700, HanniBaL wrote:

          > This is why, I'm trying to setup a fallback transport for a virtual domain,
          > under ZPanel/Postfix (Postfix version : 2.9.1), i.e when Postfix don't find
          > a user locally it will relay mails to Google Apps server.

          The Postfix fallback_transport is a feature of the local(8) delivery
          agent. And user non-existence means not found in either the local
          aliases(5) file or /etc/passwd user database.

          It is far better to map each users mail destination explicitly, than
          to rely on fallback mechanisms. Lazy is good, too lazy is trouble.

          Use virtual_alias_maps to rewrite each user to <id>@...
          (where example.com is your domain) and route <id>@...
          to Google apps via a suitable border Postfix instance. This should
          canonicalize the recipient address to a stable identifier that will
          deliver it to the right Gmail mailbox.

        • HanniBaL
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
            Hi,

            I posted this thread because i'm not sure if i'm right or not. how can i
            verify that i'm in the second case ?

            Thanks,

          • HanniBaL
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
              Hi Viktor,

              Thanks for your quick answer, if i understand correctly you suggested to me
              to define transport map for each user that still under Postfix (to deliver
              locally), other way use a global transport map (that will be applied to the
              whole domain) for all other users that are not currently under Postfix.

              I tried with this manner, and it's seems to work correctly.

              But concretely, how can i use the "fallback_transport" option under Postfix
              2.9.1 ?

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
                On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 07:54:18AM -0700, HanniBaL wrote:

                > Thanks for your quick answer, if i understand correctly you suggested to me
                > to define transport map for each user that still under Postfix (to deliver
                > locally), other way use a global transport map (that will be applied to the
                > whole domain) for all other users that are not currently under Postfix.
                >
                > I tried with this manner, and it's seems to work correctly.
                >
                > But concretely, how can i use the "fallback_transport" option under Postfix
                > 2.9.1 ?

                Don't use fallback_transport. It is a legacy last resort mechanism
                of the Sendmail-compatible local(8) delivery agent. Don't get
                fixated by this feature.