Re: Mail server, what else?

  • Craig R. Skinner
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 15, 2013
      On 2013-07-15 Mon 16:26 PM |, Kris Deugau wrote:
      > Craig R. Skinner wrote:
      > >No Apache, PHP or webmail. HTTP was designed to transfer hyperlinked
      > >text files, not do dynmaic stuff with root access to the whole box.
      > >Beware!!!!!
      > >
      > >IMAP (Thunderbird, Elm, KMail) is the way to go.
      > >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients#Operating_system_support
      >
      > Then what do you suggest for casual users who do not care to either
      > bring along a single device everywhere they want to access their
      > email, or (know how to) install a fullblown mail program on every
      > device they may access their mail from? (Including things like
      > Internet cafe PCs...)

      There are several Java IMAP email clients that can be wrapped in an
      applet or Java-webstart. These are downloaded from the website & then
      use IMAP/SMTP.

      > Webmail means at least they only have one mail client and one UI to
      > learn to read their mail.

      Put up some screen shots of how to use a mail client in your FAQ.

      If the average web user can post photo albums on Fakebook, they've the
      brains to use a mail client. Thunderbird even tries to autoconfigure
      itself based on the the email address, setting the servers & ports.

      It's more work up front to teach them, but its less work than explaining
      your box got rooted via some stupid web app & all their personal details
      are now at risk.

      Dump stubborn users, they're not worth the support nightmare. (I worked
      for years in an ISP's tech support dept - ON THE PHONE. Most people are
      OK with a few screen shots & some help to get going.)

      Cheers,
      --
      Craig Skinner | http://twitter.com/Craig_Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 16, 2013
        On 07/13/2013 02:35 PM, Peter wrote:
        > On 07/13/2013 11:15 AM, J Gao wrote:
        >> http://vault.centos.org/6.4/os/Source/SPackages/postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.src.rpm
        >>

        >> And patched with quota patch.
        >
        > That's brilliant, now you can't get support for it anywhere.
        >
        > You don't need to patch postfix to get quotas, dovecot 2 has a policy
        > daemon that plugs right into postfix for that now.
        >
        > Seriously, go to Dovecot and get a newer version of postfix. It is
        > well worth it just to get postscreen support (which requires version
        > 2.8 or higher), and you really don't need to be patching it.

        Fairly current postfix packages for RHEL are available from several
        sources - we've been using postfix 2.8.8 on RHEL 6 here.

        Joe
      • Kirill Bychkov
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 16, 2013

          Hi,

          14.07.2013 0:17 пользователь "Bastian Blank" <bastian+postfix-users=postfix.org@...> написал:

          > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:55:00AM -0700, J Gao wrote:
          > > Now I would like your advises on my system so I can improve it more.
          > > Here is my mail server system:
          > > - CentOS 6.4 64bit (SELinux disabled), iptables is in action.
          >
          > Enterprisey. Well.
          >
          > > - Apache, MySql, PHP
          >
          > What for? If at all use nginx mit php-fpm and mariadb.
          >
          > > - Postfix 2.6.6
          >
          > Not longer supported here. Get a current version.
          >
          > > -                 Courier(Support virtual domain)
          >
          > Use Dovecot.
          >
          > > - MailScanner with ClamAV and Spamassassin(with pyzor/rozor2/DCC)
          >
          > This _will_ eat your mail for breakfast. Use amavisd-new.
          >
          > > - Fail2ban (SSH, RoundCube, SASL)
          >
          > Self-DoS.
          What is Self-DoS? What does you mean?

          > > - SPF, OpenDKIM, DMARC
          >
          > Why?
          >
          > > - RoundCube webmail
          >
          > Not on the same machine.
          >
          > Bastian
          >
          > --
          > Virtue is a relative term.
          >                 -- Spock, "Friday's Child", stardate 3499.1

        • LuKreme
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 2013
            On 16 Jul 2013, at 14:03 , Kirill Bychkov <kirill.bychkov@...> wrote:
            > What is Self-DoS? What does you mean?

            A self inflicted Denial of Service.

            sort of like when you ping flood yourself…

            --
            Can't seem to face up to the facts
            Tense and nervous and I can't relax