Re: How best to eliminate "domain mismatch" warning in mail clients when TLS is used

  • Ben Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
      On 7/15/2013 3:14 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Ben Johnson:

      >>> Are these submission clients? What does the above mean?
      >>>

      >> Yes, these are submission clients. To be clear, our clients want to be
      >> able to configure their MUAs to use our MTA's submission service via
      >> their own domain names. I know; it is not necessarily a rational or
      >> reasonable request.
      >
      > It's entirely reasonable if they want to be able to change email
      > provider without having to update all their clients.

      This is the strongest argument that I've seen for adding SNI support to
      Postfix. I hadn't even considered this. Maybe this is the basis for our
      customers' respective positions; I wish they had made it clearer to
      begin with.

      > Unfortunately there are not a lot of development cycles for adding
      > a decent SNI implementation to Postfix.
      >
      > Wietse

      I can't even imagine the complexities; I understand.

      In the meantime, I am all ears, regarding jf's question about SNI
      proxying via, for example, nginx. If that subject is best addressed to
      the nginx mailing list, I am happy to take the discussion to the
      appropriate list.

      Thanks again,

      -Ben
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
        Ben Johnson:
        > In the meantime, I am all ears, regarding jf's question about SNI
        > proxying via, for example, nginx. If that subject is best addressed to
        > the nginx mailing list, I am happy to take the discussion to the
        > appropriate list.

        According to a thread in March 2013 they did not support SNI in the
        MAIL feature.

        http://list-archives.org/2013/03/29/nginx-nginx-org/mail-proxy-with-sni/f/1433768745

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
          On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 03:38:31PM -0400, Ben Johnson wrote:

          > > It's entirely reasonable if they want to be able to change email
          > > provider without having to update all their clients.
          >
          > This is the strongest argument that I've seen for adding SNI support to
          > Postfix. I hadn't even considered this. Maybe this is the basis for our
          > customers' respective positions; I wish they had made it clearer to
          > begin with.

          There's a lot more to SNI support than having a server that can
          context-switch between multiple certificates. You need a provisioning
          system that allows clients to upload private keys and matching
          certificates on a self-service basis via suitably authorized
          administrator accounts.

          You need to send the administrators reminders about iminent
          certificate expiration, and alert your staff if they don't respond
          promptly, so they ultimately get phone calls when they don't act
          in a timely manner.

          The whole thing is a major PITA for very little gain.

          > > Unfortunately there are not a lot of development cycles for adding
          > > a decent SNI implementation to Postfix.

          I have no time for this.

        • Stan Hoeppner
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
            On 7/15/2013 3:35 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

            >>> Unfortunately there are not a lot of development cycles for adding
            >>> a decent SNI implementation to Postfix.
            >
            > I have no time for this.

            And this is precisely why an entire VPS industry has sprouted over the
            past few years. As someone stated down thread, give your customers what
            they want and charge them accordingly. This is trivially easy to do
            with your choice of hypervisor with memory consolidation (same page
            merging) and a guest OS template. If your pool of IPv4 addresses is
            limited charge them extra for that. If they're exhausted, well, you can
            go IPv6 only but that really has downsides.

            Here's an even better idea. Do what everyone else in your shoes does:
            partner with a VPS provider and farm the bulk of this out. There are
            tons of small companies that do exactly this. They buy X number of VPS
            instances each with an IP address from a provider and rebrand them. The
            VPS provider does all the heavy lifting WRT provisioning. You would
            simply do the customization for your individual customers, i.e. DNS,
            hostname, domain name, certificate, etc. A basic VPS for this kind of
            thing can normally be had for well less than $10/month. The really
            stripped down VPS services I see offered are $4.95/month. All prices
            USD. If you already have a mailbox (IMAP/POP) server that currently
            handles MX duty for all these customers, moving MX to these VPS
            instances and relaying the mail to your mailbox server is easy as well.

            --
            Stan
          • Peter
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
              On 07/16/2013 05:30 AM, Ben Johnson wrote:
              >> If your clients insist that a mail server is only professional if the TLS
              >> session has their domain name written on it, then give them what they want at
              >> the price it costs to implement it.
              >
              > Your position is perfectly reasonable, and is more or less the position
              > that I've taken on the matter. I just wanted to be sure that there isn't
              > some panacea that I had overlooked.
              >
              > In order to give our clients what they want, what are our choices?

              Probably the best option is to go old tech here. Get a separate IP for
              each hostname that a client wants to connect to and set up separate
              listeners in master.cf for each of those IPs with the appropriate TLS
              options. Then let the clients buy their own cert and provide it to you
              to use on the server. Up to you to come up with the additional pricing
              for all of this. The extra dedicated IP is the first and most obvious
              cost, the rest is administrative.

              Keep in mind that you'll have to configure dovecot (or whatever you use
              for IMAP/POP3) to listen on these other IPs and use those
              customer-supplied certs as well.

              Personally I would ramp up the extra fee even more to account for the,
              "I don't want to do this really stupid unnecessary vain thing" reason.
              I would make sure the client knows that they are just spending extra
              money to satisfy their own vanity and if they still want to go ahead
              then do it for them.

              Peter