Re: which type of list should I use ?

  • Jeroen Geilman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
      On 07/10/2013 04:04 PM, jeffrey j donovan wrote:
      > On Jul 9, 2013, at 10:18 PM, jeffrey j donovan <donovan@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Greetings
      >>
      >> it's been a while since I have done this.
      >>
      >> I have an old server running a mail list. I have successfully relocated the list to a new server.
      >>
      >> what i need to do re-route any message sent incorrectly to this list to the new server.
      >>
      >> message to --> listname@oldHost ---> hits { smtp relay on smtpHost } " some rewrite or alias / transport sends to the message to --> list name@newHost.
      >>
      >> transport maps didn't seem to make sense. as when it arrived at the new host, the message would still say To:list name@oldHost, so newHost is going to throw it back.
      >> alias on the smtp relay said the alias had to be local, which made sense.
      >> What type of re-write do i need to perform this action?
      >>
      >> suggestions and flames welcome
      >> -j
      > answering my own question
      >
      > okay,.. I set up a generic map on my smtp relay
      >
      > smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
      >
      > listname@... listname@...
      >
      > when the message arrives it is delivered to "host1" and host1 sends the message to host2.
      > How can I get the smtp relay to " not forward to host1 " but deliver directly to host2. Do I need to setup transport also ?

      Yes.
      The generic map only changes the address - it doesn't change where it is
      sent.
      smtP_generic_maps is applied by the smtp(8) daemon, as its name indicates.
      It has already been queued and routed at that point, and the next-hop is
      fixed.

      The OVERVIEW may help: http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

      Use a transport_map to alter the next-hop before it is queued.

      --
      J.