Re: Use a different smtp_bind_address for fallback

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
      On 07/09/2013 05:33 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Ram:
      >> On 07/09/2013 04:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      >>> Ram:

      >>> You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.
      >> I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
      >>
      >> I can not specify
      >> -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]
      > There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
      > or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
      > promised to work.
      I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
      reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind addresses
      On the fallback_relay , can I specify any command line parameter ?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2013
        Ram:

        > On 07/09/2013 05:33 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > > Ram:

        > >> I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
        > >>
        > >> I can not specify
        > >> -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]

        > > There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
        > > or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
        > > promised to work.

        > I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
        > reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind addresses
        > On the fallback_relay , can I specify any command line parameter ?

        All supported behavior is documented including command line.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2013
          On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:32:19AM +0530, Ram wrote:

          > I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
          > reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind
          > addresses.

          The code that implements smtp_bind_address is in smtp_connect_addr()
          in src/smtp/smtp_connect.c. The sensible implementation of what
          you describe is a table lookup by nexthop destination that yields
          the appropriate bind address. You'd need open the table in pre-jail
          initialization in src/smtp/smtp.c.

          main.cf:
          smtp_bind_address_maps = ${indexed}bind_addr

          bind_addr:
          ipv4:[smtp.example.net]:587 192.0.2.1
          ipv6:[smtp.example.com]:587 2001:db8::1

          The lookup key would be <protocol>:<nexthop>. Demand for this would
          be relatively narrow. I am not sure this warrants a new feature in
          the official Postfix release.