Re: Use a different smtp_bind_address for fallback

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
      On 07/09/2013 04:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Ram:
      >> Today I use in master.cf
      >>
      >> smtp unix - - n - - smtp
      >> -o smtp_bind_address=X.X.X.X
      >> -o fallback_relay=newhost
      >>

      >> But I have a requirement that the fallback mails should be sent via a
      >> different smtp_bind_address
      >> How can I specify this in smtp fallback
      > You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.
      I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address

      I can not specify
      -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
        Ram:
        > On 07/09/2013 04:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > > Ram:
        > >> Today I use in master.cf
        > >>
        > >> smtp unix - - n - - smtp
        > >> -o smtp_bind_address=X.X.X.X
        > >> -o fallback_relay=newhost
        > >>

        > >> But I have a requirement that the fallback mails should be sent via a
        > >> different smtp_bind_address
        > >> How can I specify this in smtp fallback
        > > You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.
        > I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
        >
        > I can not specify
        > -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]

        There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
        or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
        promised to work.

        Postfix does not support multiple smtp_bind_address settings. if
        you really need that then you can use some network address/port
        translation rule in the IP stack.

        Wietse
      • Ram
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
          On 07/09/2013 05:33 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Ram:
          >> On 07/09/2013 04:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          >>> Ram:

          >>> You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.
          >> I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
          >>
          >> I can not specify
          >> -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]
          > There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
          > or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
          > promised to work.
          I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
          reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind addresses
          On the fallback_relay , can I specify any command line parameter ?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2013
            Ram:

            > On 07/09/2013 05:33 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Ram:

            > >> I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
            > >>
            > >> I can not specify
            > >> -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]

            > > There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
            > > or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
            > > promised to work.

            > I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
            > reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind addresses
            > On the fallback_relay , can I specify any command line parameter ?

            All supported behavior is documented including command line.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2013
              On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:32:19AM +0530, Ram wrote:

              > I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
              > reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind
              > addresses.

              The code that implements smtp_bind_address is in smtp_connect_addr()
              in src/smtp/smtp_connect.c. The sensible implementation of what
              you describe is a table lookup by nexthop destination that yields
              the appropriate bind address. You'd need open the table in pre-jail
              initialization in src/smtp/smtp.c.

              main.cf:
              smtp_bind_address_maps = ${indexed}bind_addr

              bind_addr:
              ipv4:[smtp.example.net]:587 192.0.2.1
              ipv6:[smtp.example.com]:587 2001:db8::1

              The lookup key would be <protocol>:<nexthop>. Demand for this would
              be relatively narrow. I am not sure this warrants a new feature in
              the official Postfix release.