Use a different smtp_bind_address for fallback

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9 1:18 AM
      Today I use in master.cf

      smtp unix - - n - - smtp
      -o smtp_bind_address=X.X.X.X
      -o fallback_relay=newhost

      But I have a requirement that the fallback mails should be sent via a
      different smtp_bind_address
      How can I specify this in smtp fallback

      Thanks
      Ram
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9 3:54 AM
        Ram:
        > Today I use in master.cf
        >
        > smtp unix - - n - - smtp
        > -o smtp_bind_address=X.X.X.X
        > -o fallback_relay=newhost
        >

        > But I have a requirement that the fallback mails should be sent via a
        > different smtp_bind_address
        > How can I specify this in smtp fallback

        You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.

        Wietse
      • Ram
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9 4:07 AM
          On 07/09/2013 04:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Ram:
          >> Today I use in master.cf
          >>
          >> smtp unix - - n - - smtp
          >> -o smtp_bind_address=X.X.X.X
          >> -o fallback_relay=newhost
          >>

          >> But I have a requirement that the fallback mails should be sent via a
          >> different smtp_bind_address
          >> How can I specify this in smtp fallback
          > You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.
          I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address

          I can not specify
          -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9 5:03 AM
            Ram:
            > On 07/09/2013 04:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Ram:
            > >> Today I use in master.cf
            > >>
            > >> smtp unix - - n - - smtp
            > >> -o smtp_bind_address=X.X.X.X
            > >> -o fallback_relay=newhost
            > >>

            > >> But I have a requirement that the fallback mails should be sent via a
            > >> different smtp_bind_address
            > >> How can I specify this in smtp fallback
            > > You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.
            > I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
            >
            > I can not specify
            > -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]

            There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
            or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
            promised to work.

            Postfix does not support multiple smtp_bind_address settings. if
            you really need that then you can use some network address/port
            translation rule in the IP stack.

            Wietse
          • Ram
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9 10:02 PM
              On 07/09/2013 05:33 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Ram:
              >> On 07/09/2013 04:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
              >>> Ram:

              >>> You configure this in the "newhost" MTA.
              >> I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
              >>
              >> I can not specify
              >> -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]
              > There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
              > or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
              > promised to work.
              I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
              reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind addresses
              On the fallback_relay , can I specify any command line parameter ?

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10 4:02 AM
                Ram:

                > On 07/09/2013 05:33 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                > > Ram:

                > >> I want the fallback mail to go via a new bind address
                > >>
                > >> I can not specify
                > >> -o fallback_relay=smtpnew:[newhost]

                > > There are a bazillion things that you can't specify with fallback_relay
                > > or other Postfix parameters. I document only the things that are
                > > promised to work.

                > I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
                > reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind addresses
                > On the fallback_relay , can I specify any command line parameter ?

                All supported behavior is documented including command line.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10 7:20 AM
                  On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:32:19AM +0530, Ram wrote:

                  > I guess I understand that. But I think the requirement would be
                  > reasonable If I have 2 networks I may need to have different bind
                  > addresses.

                  The code that implements smtp_bind_address is in smtp_connect_addr()
                  in src/smtp/smtp_connect.c. The sensible implementation of what
                  you describe is a table lookup by nexthop destination that yields
                  the appropriate bind address. You'd need open the table in pre-jail
                  initialization in src/smtp/smtp.c.

                  main.cf:
                  smtp_bind_address_maps = ${indexed}bind_addr

                  bind_addr:
                  ipv4:[smtp.example.net]:587 192.0.2.1
                  ipv6:[smtp.example.com]:587 2001:db8::1

                  The lookup key would be <protocol>:<nexthop>. Demand for this would
                  be relatively narrow. I am not sure this warrants a new feature in
                  the official Postfix release.