notify_classes

  • Pol Hallen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2013
      Hi all :-) I using notify classes:

      notify_classes = bounce, 2bounce, data, delay, policy, protocol, resource,
      software

      postmaster receives correct "alert" emails

      I'd like have also a notify when a local user send an email and there's an
      error (something like remote smtp does not run - for purpose test only) so
      I've a queue with something like:

      -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
      5584A7590AF 1012 Sun Jul 7 18:04:00 user1@...
      (connect to domain3[35.120.217.165]:25: Connection refused)
      user1@...

      Is notify_classes does this?

      Better if postfix send an "alert" to sender user with error (in this case
      "connection refused"). So user can known that the mail is not sent (for
      now).

      Any idea?

      Thanks!

      PS: I reading postfix "the definitive guide" - thanks Wietse :-)

      Pol
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2013
        On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 06:20:00PM +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:

        > Hi all :-) I am using notify classes:

        Are you running a small personal MTA serving just yourself and perhaps
        just a few more people? If so, perhaps this is OK.

        > notify_classes = bounce, 2bounce, data, delay, policy, protocol, resource,
        > software

        My recommendation is to set "notify_classes = " (empty) and to
        monitor your MTAs health by parsing and summarizing the logs, not
        per-incident email alerts. In some cases email alerts about problems
        can compound those problems and flood the postmaster mailbox until
        it is quickly over quota.

        > Better if postfix send an "alert" to sender user with error (in this case
        > "connection refused"). So user can known that the mail is not sent (for
        > now).

        Postfix has a delay_warning_time parameter. This warning is correctly
        sent at most once per message.

      • AFCommerce LLC

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2013
            On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 01:09:13PM -0400, AFCommerce LLC wrote:

            > Mine is set to notify_classes = resource because it can't be left blank or
            > it will turn in to notify_classes = resource, software I believe (the
            > default)

            This is inaccurate. Just set:

            notify_classes =

            and make sure you don't have multiple instances of this parameter
            in main.cf. The last setting wins.

            You can absolutely disable all (internally generated) postmaster notices
            by setting the parameter empty. The default setting only kicks when the
            parameter is not set in main.cf.

          • AFCommerce LLC
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2013
              Ok awesome, I must have misunderstood the docs about it setting blank as the default, thank you very much!
              Paul

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2013
                > Are you running a small personal MTA serving just yourself and perhaps
                > just a few more people? If so, perhaps this is OK.

                yes

                > My recommendation is to set "notify_classes = " (empty)

                ok

                > Postfix has a delay_warning_time parameter. This warning is correctly
                > sent at most once per message.

                thanks! how known if my message is real sent from my smtp server? Setting
                delay_warning_time parameter to 5m (i.e.) I receive an email with info,
                but I don't know if (and when) my message will send... how I've a notify
                that my message in real sent?

                thanks

                Pol
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2013
                  On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 09:16:50PM +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:

                  > > Postfix has a delay_warning_time parameter. This warning is correctly
                  > > sent at most once per message.
                  >
                  > thanks! how known if my message is real sent from my smtp server? Setting
                  > delay_warning_time parameter to 5m (i.e.) I receive an email with info,
                  > but I don't know if (and when) my message will send... how I've a notify
                  > that my message in real sent?

                  A 5 minute delay warning is way too short, (shorter than many
                  greylisting minimum retry times). This should be at least 1 hour.

                  If you want delivery notification use DSN or MDN.