Re: Password mismatch. Might the md5usm be wrong?

  • Dotan Cohen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
      On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Mark Alan <m6rkalan@...> wrote:
      > The best place for this question is the Dovecot mailing list.

      Wow, Mark, you're right! I'm sorry, I've been googling at this for
      quite a while and my judgement must be impaired!

      > That said, as a hint you should look at:
      > http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Pw
      >
      > While at that page, if go to the part about '-u user' it clearly reads:
      > 'When the DIGEST-MD5 scheme is used, also the user name must be
      > given, because the user name is a part of the generated hash.'
      >
      > Where in 'printf "12345" | md5sum', is that (required) user name?

      I see, thanks. That alleviates that issue! For curiosity's sake I
      tried to md5 hash the following, without being able to recreate the
      md5 hash as generated by doveadm:
      user:pass@...
      user@...:pass
      user@... pass