Re: hostname , myhostname , MX record

  • Dejan Doder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2013
      Thank you vary much Wietse!

      BR

      Dejan

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      Dejan Doder:
      > hi group ,
      >
      > I have little confusion about these three parameters
      >
      > 1)hostname -f (system FQDN hostname which is
      > defined under /etc/network HOSTNAME= )

      Does not matter.

      > 2) /etc/postfix/main.cf
      > myhostname=

      This is how Postfix identifies itself in the SMTP server, the SMTP
      client, and in the "sorry I could not deliver your mail" messages.
      See also: http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

          Note: some SPAM filters will be friendlier if this name matches
          your IP address. But there is no law that requires this.

      > 3) MX record in public DNS

      This is not required for your server.

          Note: some SPAM filters will be friendlier if you have an MX
          record that resolves to your myhostname and IP address. But
          there is no law that requires this.

      See http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html for many
      questions related to the ones that you were asking.