hostname , myhostname , MX record

  • Dejan Doder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2013
      hi group ,

      I have little confusion about these three parameters

      1)hostname -f (system FQDN hostname which is
      defined under /etc/network HOSTNAME= )
      2) /etc/postfix/main.cf
      $myhostname=
      3) MX record in public DNS

      When sending helo message postfix sends 2) parameter?
      Does 2) must match 1) and 3) ?

      BR

      Dejan

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2013
        Dejan Doder:
        > hi group ,
        >
        > I have little confusion about these three parameters
        >
        > 1)hostname -f (system FQDN hostname which is
        > defined under /etc/network HOSTNAME= )

        Does not matter.

        > 2) /etc/postfix/main.cf
        > myhostname=

        This is how Postfix identifies itself in the SMTP server, the SMTP
        client, and in the "sorry I could not deliver your mail" messages.
        See also: http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

        Note: some SPAM filters will be friendlier if this name matches
        your IP address. But there is no law that requires this.

        > 3) MX record in public DNS

        This is not required for your server.

        Note: some SPAM filters will be friendlier if you have an MX
        record that resolves to your myhostname and IP address. But
        there is no law that requires this.

        See http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html for many
        questions related to the ones that you were asking.

        Wietse
      • Dejan Doder
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2013
          Thank you vary much Wietse!