Re: Bulk Mailing Performance

  • Marius Gologan
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 30 11:38 PM
      Bulk doesn't mean to blast the world in 1 second with emails.

      1) The magic of PowerMTA consists in rotating IPs base on returned codes and
      returned message patterns. e.g.: if an IP addresses is banned by an ESP,
      will backoff on a different IP address in order in an attempt to achieve
      delivery. Thus, is designed for email marketing area, not for corporate
      email service.
      If you read the 330 pages guide you'll find that, by default, is sending 2
      messages via 2 parallel connections. Can be increased considerable, but you
      need to be a genius in 'warp speed' throttling and have IPs+Sender Domains
      as Amazon SES has.
      It is very limited for inbound messages handling.

      2) Postfix is a true performance MTA, used world wide (mature).
      The Magic of Postfix is quite complex. E.g: unlike PowerMTA, provides
      dynamic/adaptive throttling which is quite intelligent. It looks like it
      doesn't provide a way for rotating IPs as PowerMTA does. Thus, I don't see
      how spammers prefer Postfix. I'm still learning about Postfix secrets and
      how much creative can be.
      In my opinion, the performance for bulk deliverability should be reduce in
      Postfix, not increased, in order to meat ESP requirements in these days.

      Both MTAs are designed for two different purposes, thus, you cannot compare
      them.

      Postfix, on a *nix machine, is a true Email Server - a complex platform with
      many features, covering all aspects and requirements you can imagine (except
      the one mentioned above), but, often, many steps ahead MS Exchange.
      PowerMTA is an advanced sending software application for email marketers,
      covering exclusively their requirements and needs of rotating IPs per ESP.

      Marius.