Re: postfix rejecting valid mail server

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
      T?ssio Fechine:
      > What!? How the user running the client library affects DNS response? This
      > makes no sense.

      This is a frequent problem with novice system administrators
      who mess up file or directory access permissions.

      If a program doesn't run as root, then the tests should not
      be done as root.

      Wietse
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2013
        On 6/29/2013 7:15 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > T?ssio Fechine:
        >> What!? How the user running the client library affects DNS response? This
        >> makes no sense.
        >
        > This is a frequent problem with novice system administrators
        > who mess up file or directory access permissions.
        >
        > If a program doesn't run as root, then the tests should not
        > be done as root.

        And if I'm not mistaken, this kind of thing can also happen with a
        broken or poorly implemented chroot, wherein the resolver Postfix uses
        can be different than the resolver everything outside the Postfix chroot
        is using.

        I vaguely recall this happening to me many many years ago with Debian,
        when I modified /etc/resolv.conf and the change was not picked up in
        /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf. The two resolvers were returning
        different results so testing in a root shell with host and dig was
        counterproductive and masked the problem.

        Wietse helped me identify the chroot as the problem and I was able to
        track down how to fix it after I knew where to look. He is trying to do
        the same for you here. He is simply not spoon feeding you the complete
        answer, complete picture. He's pointing you in the right direction so
        you can do the rest of the sleuthing yourself. Some folks here will
        hold your hand start to finish at times. But for the most part I think
        most folks here try to be enablers, not function as consultants. This
        is all volunteer after all.

        --
        Stan
      • Téssio Fechine
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
          The problem was a broken /etc/apt/sources.list in debian.
          Someone changed one of the repositories to wheezy, and left the others as squeeze.
          A broken package dependency made the postfix resolver stop working, apparently.
          After the system was fully upgraded to wheezy, postfix started working as expected.

          Thanks everyone.