Re: smtp auth

  • Fabrizio Monti
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
      Ok, thanks to everyone for their helpful advice, were all valuable. I
      did some testing and I determined that if I configure the SMTP mail
      client on port 25 can send e-mails only for my domains. But if I
      connect to telnet on port 25 I can send emails to all the domains. I
      can stop this?
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
        On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 09:51:50AM +0200, Fabrizio Monti wrote:
        > I did some testing and I determined that if I configure the SMTP
        > mail client on port 25 can send e-mails only for my domains.
        > But if I connect to telnet on port 25 I can send emails to all
        > the domains. I can stop this?

        First, that does not make sense. "Telnet on port 25" is the same as
        any MUA, it's just a means to speak SMTP to a SMTP server. There's
        no fundamental difference between a MUA and someone using telnet to
        speak SMTP, except perhaps that the MUA is faster and makes no
        errors.

        Second, IIUC what you are saying, it could be that the MUA is
        configured to AUTH, and when AUTH is refused it rightly goes away.
        I'll go further to venture a guess that your telnet client's IP
        address is in $mynetworks, and that you neglected to remove
        "permit_mynetworks" from your recipient (or relay) restrictions.

        We have no way to see what you have configured! We can't read your
        logs. If you want help you have to SHOW us these things.

        See also:

        http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relay_from
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#permit_mynetworks

        http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_sasl_authz
      • Fabrizio Monti
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2013
          @/dev/rob0, you're right that it makes no sense: I wrote a huge
          stupid, it's working properly!! You ignore the previous email, now go
          outside and get some fresh air, but I take so much!!!

          Thank you so much to all of the aid that you gave me!