Re: Does Postfix understand "MX 0 ." ?

  • DTNX Postmaster
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
      On Jun 25, 2013, at 23:55, John Levine <johnl@...> wrote:

      >>> As I think I said, the person who asked
      >>> has a domain a typo away from a very popular one, and would like to
      >>> get rid of the unwanted traffic efficiently while still having his
      >>> web server or whatever on the A record.
      >>
      >> Tough. Whoever is in that position is presumably making enough money from the ads on his/her
      >> "typosquatted" web site to put up with the hassle.
      >
      > This is not a typosquat, it's a live domain that happens by
      > coincidence to be close to some other domain that gets a lot of mail,
      > is in use for stuff other than e-mail, and wants the mail attempts to
      > stop.

      We have a two-letter domain that gets quite a bit of delivery attempts
      from a three-letter domain that belongs to a large university here. Our
      registration predates theirs by eight months, but they have both been
      registered by their original owners for 15+ years.

      I am not sure how they manage to keep forgetting that extra letter in
      the days of synced address books and whatnot, especially when the part
      in front of the @ sign is often ten times as long, but there ya go. It
      happens.

      > But more important, I understand your position to be that anyone who
      > types an invalid domain in an e-mail addresses is a bad person, and
      > deserves to be punished for it by not learning for a week that the
      > message bounced. Interesting viewpoint.

      How about running a basic MTA for that domain on that IP address, one
      that rejects all mail to said domain? Or adding MX records to another
      server that does the same?

      Instant rejection, problem solved?

      Mvg,
      Jona