/etc/passwd Centos + postfix

  • Dejan Doder
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
      Hi group , I use system users with passwords defined in /etc/passwd.
      How can users change their passwords ?

      BR

      Dejan
    • lists@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
        On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:22:46 +0200
        Dejan Doder <doderde@...> wrote:

        > Hi group , I use system users with passwords defined in /etc/passwd.
        > How can users change their passwords ?

        use CLI "passwd"..
      • Dejan Doder
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
          yes I know that , but how users will change passwords by themselfs ?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
            Dejan Doder <doderde@...> wrote:
            > Hi group , I use system users with passwords defined in /etc/passwd.
            > How can users change their passwords ?

            On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM, <lists@...> wrote:
            > use CLI "passwd"..

            Dejan Doder:
            > yes I know that, but how users will change passwords by themselfs ?

            You are looking for a web-based form that can manage a user's system
            password. Unfortunately many implementations are cobbled together
            with PHP, TCL, etc. With these it is very easy to make terrible
            mistakes, so I can't recommend a specific one without a great deal
            of review.

            Wietse
          • Craig R. Skinner
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
              On 2013-06-25 Tue 14:31 PM |, Dejan Doder wrote:

              > yes I know that , but how users will change passwords by themselfs ?

              They ssh to the server & then run 'passwd'

              This is a Centos question, not a Postfix one.

              Cheers,
              --
              Craig Skinner | http://twitter.com/Craig_Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7
            • Ryan Patrick Fernandez
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                Use a web based tool like webmin, i think this is not the proper forum for that though you can start it from their.. Just google webmin

                Ryan

              • Helga.Mayer@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                  ----- Message from Ryan Patrick Fernandez <ryanclaw@...> ---------
                  Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:58:32 +0800
                  From: Ryan Patrick Fernandez <ryanclaw@...>
                  Subject: Re: /etc/passwd Centos + postfix
                  To: Dejan Doder <doderde@...>
                  Cc: "postfix-users@..." <postfix-users@...>

                  > On Jun 25, 2013, at 7:22 PM, Dejan Doder <doderde@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi group , I use system users with passwords defined in /etc/passwd.
                  >> How can users change their passwords ?

                  Have you got a webmail client ?
                  Horde/Imp comes with:

                  http://www.horde.org/apps/passwd

                  Helga

                  >> BR
                  >>
                  >> Dejan

                  ----- End message from Ryan Patrick Fernandez <ryanclaw@...> -----
                • Dejan Doder
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                    Thank you Helga

                    BR

                    Dejan

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                      On 6/25/2013 8:31 AM, Dejan Doder wrote:
                      > yes I know that , but how users will change passwords by themselves ?

                      Long-term, I recommend moving away from local users and towards virtual
                      users with the accounts stored in a SQL database. Which lets you use
                      things like PostfixAdmin or other database-driven tools.

                      It's a lot harder for users to damage the mail server if they don't have
                      a login account.