Re: Virtual Hosting (Ubuntu 12.04)

  • postfix2013@...
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
      On June 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM, "/dev/rob0" <rob0@...> wrote:

      >On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 07:24:00PM +0200, Postmaster wrote:
      >> Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From
      >postfix.org:
      >>
      >> IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
      >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
      >> at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix
      >will
      >> refuse to receive mail...
      >>

      >http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictions
      >
      >That would be without the "t" on the end, but anyway, no, that's
      >not
      >what's going on here.
      >
      >> On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
      >> >I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work.
      >
      >Mail IS very difficult. Have you looked at outsourcing? I don't
      >have
      >any service I can particularly recommend, but Google used to have
      >gratis mail hosting, and they probably still do it cheaply.
      >
      >Success at mail self-hosting is possible, but it will require more
      >from you than perhaps you are willing to invest? And then it will
      >need care and feeding, such as for spam control, and quick action
      >when something goes wrong (suppose your server has a hardware
      >failure, for example.)
      >
      >That said, I'll continue and try to point you to ways to find the
      >answers to your questions.
      >
      >> >I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
      >> >
      >> >I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front
      >of
      >> >me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up.
      >> >followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP
      >> >address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I
      >> >also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for
      >Multiple
      >> >Domains"
      >
      >This doesn't really tell us what settings you used. Ralf or P@rick
      >might be able to guess, but none of us should have to:

      My main.cf is an attachment to the first e-mail.

      I did look in /var/log/mail.log and had a few warnings/errors of interest.

      warning: do not list domain xxxxxxxx.com in BOTH mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains

      and

      Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

      >http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
      >
      >> >So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
      >> >

      >> ><me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
      >said:
      >> >550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected:
      >User
      >> >unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
      >
      >Logging is a better resource than a bounce message, but this does
      >tell us some things:
      > 1. Your system accepted and relayed for you (thus why Carsten,
      > quoted above, was wrong.)
      > 2. Mail addressed to me@... was relayed to host
      > mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
      > 3. host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] has joeswebsite.com
      > listed in its $mydestination, but no Unix user nor alias of
      > "me" was found.
      >
      >Either you have used someone's real domain as your example (don't
      >do that!) or something is wrong with DNS:

      Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as it is.

      >joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN MX 0 joeswebsite.com.
      >joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN A 216.97.227.40
      >mail.joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN CNAME joeswebsite.com.
      >
      >This should have gone to joeswebsite.com[216.97.227.40] and not to
      >mail.joeswebsite.com. (It happens to be the same address, but the
      >actual MX value would have been logged.) Your munged address was
      >clearly not 216.97.227.40.
      >--
      > http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting
      > Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:
    • Titanus Eramius
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
        Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:22:00 -0500 skrev postfix2013@...:

        > Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name
        > like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the
        > records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is
        > precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as
        > it is.

        No, example.com and example.org is reserved by IANA with the specific
        purpose of being used as examples. Try to visit one of them.

        Cheers
      • Ansgar Wiechers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
          On 2013-06-24 postfix2013@... wrote:
          > Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name
          > like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the
          > records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is
          > precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as
          > it is.

          You're mistaken. example.com, example.net and example.org as well as the
          TLDs .test, .example, .invalid and .localhost were reserved for this
          exact purpose. See RFC 2606 [1].

          [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

          Regards
          Ansgar Wiechers