Re: Virtual Hosting (Ubuntu 12.04)

  • Carsten S.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
      On 06/24/2013 20:19, /dev/rob0 wrote:
      > On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 07:24:00PM +0200, Postmaster wrote:
      >> Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From postfix.org:
      >>
      >> IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
      >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
      >> at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix will
      >> refuse to receive mail...
      >>
      >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictionst
      > That would be without the "t" on the end, but anyway, no, that's not
      > what's going on here.

      Yep. My mistake.

      >> On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
      >>> I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work.
      > Mail IS very difficult. Have you looked at outsourcing? I don't have
      > any service I can particularly recommend, but Google used to have
      > gratis mail hosting, and they probably still do it cheaply.
      >
      > Success at mail self-hosting is possible, but it will require more
      > from you than perhaps you are willing to invest? And then it will
      > need care and feeding, such as for spam control, and quick action
      > when something goes wrong (suppose your server has a hardware
      > failure, for example.)

      Before I started to use Postfix I was using a product named Axigen. It's
      a nice clean (closed source) solution with free license for personal use.
      I can only recommended it. Especially during a start-up phase where you
      need to become familiar with basic emailing concepts.

      > That said, I'll continue and try to point you to ways to find the
      > answers to your questions.
      >
      >>> I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
      >>>
      >>> I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front of
      >>> me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up. I
      >>> followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP
      >>> address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I
      >>> also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for Multiple
      >>> Domains"
      > This doesn't really tell us what settings you used. Ralf or P@rick
      > might be able to guess, but none of us should have to:
      >
      > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
      >
      >>> So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
      >>>

      >>> <me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] said:
      >>> 550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
      >>> unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
      > Logging is a better resource than a bounce message, but this does
      > tell us some things:
      > 1. Your system accepted and relayed for you (thus why Carsten,
      > quoted above, was wrong.)
      > 2. Mail addressed to me@... was relayed to host
      > mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
      > 3. host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] has joeswebsite.com
      > listed in its $mydestination, but no Unix user nor alias of
      > "me" was found.

      Again, my mistake. I was worried about setting up an open relay.

    • postfix2013@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
        On June 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM, "/dev/rob0" <rob0@...> wrote:

        >On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 07:24:00PM +0200, Postmaster wrote:
        >> Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From
        >postfix.org:
        >>
        >> IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
        >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
        >> at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix
        >will
        >> refuse to receive mail...
        >>

        >http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictions
        >
        >That would be without the "t" on the end, but anyway, no, that's
        >not
        >what's going on here.
        >
        >> On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
        >> >I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work.
        >
        >Mail IS very difficult. Have you looked at outsourcing? I don't
        >have
        >any service I can particularly recommend, but Google used to have
        >gratis mail hosting, and they probably still do it cheaply.
        >
        >Success at mail self-hosting is possible, but it will require more
        >from you than perhaps you are willing to invest? And then it will
        >need care and feeding, such as for spam control, and quick action
        >when something goes wrong (suppose your server has a hardware
        >failure, for example.)
        >
        >That said, I'll continue and try to point you to ways to find the
        >answers to your questions.
        >
        >> >I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
        >> >
        >> >I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front
        >of
        >> >me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up.
        >> >followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP
        >> >address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I
        >> >also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for
        >Multiple
        >> >Domains"
        >
        >This doesn't really tell us what settings you used. Ralf or P@rick
        >might be able to guess, but none of us should have to:

        My main.cf is an attachment to the first e-mail.

        I did look in /var/log/mail.log and had a few warnings/errors of interest.

        warning: do not list domain xxxxxxxx.com in BOTH mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains

        and

        Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

        >http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
        >
        >> >So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
        >> >

        >> ><me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
        >said:
        >> >550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected:
        >User
        >> >unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
        >
        >Logging is a better resource than a bounce message, but this does
        >tell us some things:
        > 1. Your system accepted and relayed for you (thus why Carsten,
        > quoted above, was wrong.)
        > 2. Mail addressed to me@... was relayed to host
        > mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
        > 3. host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] has joeswebsite.com
        > listed in its $mydestination, but no Unix user nor alias of
        > "me" was found.
        >
        >Either you have used someone's real domain as your example (don't
        >do that!) or something is wrong with DNS:

        Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as it is.

        >joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN MX 0 joeswebsite.com.
        >joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN A 216.97.227.40
        >mail.joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN CNAME joeswebsite.com.
        >
        >This should have gone to joeswebsite.com[216.97.227.40] and not to
        >mail.joeswebsite.com. (It happens to be the same address, but the
        >actual MX value would have been logged.) Your munged address was
        >clearly not 216.97.227.40.
        >--
        > http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting
        > Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:
      • Titanus Eramius
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
          Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:22:00 -0500 skrev postfix2013@...:

          > Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name
          > like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the
          > records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is
          > precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as
          > it is.

          No, example.com and example.org is reserved by IANA with the specific
          purpose of being used as examples. Try to visit one of them.

          Cheers
        • Ansgar Wiechers
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
            On 2013-06-24 postfix2013@... wrote:
            > Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name
            > like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the
            > records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is
            > precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as
            > it is.

            You're mistaken. example.com, example.net and example.org as well as the
            TLDs .test, .example, .invalid and .localhost were reserved for this
            exact purpose. See RFC 2606 [1].

            [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

            Regards
            Ansgar Wiechers