Virtual Hosting (Ubuntu 12.04)

  • postfix2013@...
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
      Hello,

      I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work. I just retired my Debian Woody installation in favor of Ubuntu 12.04 server. I had a terrible time several years back getting it working, just as I am now.

      I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.

      I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front of me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up. I followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for Multiple Domains"

      So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:

      <me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] said: 550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

      I know very little of what this means. I searched this and found pages, forums that describe a higher detail than I have ever seen before. I'm not into IT for a living and have never been skilled with stuff related to relays, mail gateways and that stuff. I just don't know what it means, all I care about is that I can send and receive email on my two websites.
    • Postmaster
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
        Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From postfix.org:

        IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
        smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
        at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix will
        refuse to receive mail...

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictionst

        /carsten

        On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
        > Hello,
        >

        > I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work. I just retired my Debian Woody installation in favor of Ubuntu 12.04 server. I had a terrible time several years back getting it working, just as I am now.
        >

        > I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
        >

        > I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front of me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up. I followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for Multiple Domains"
        >

        > So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
        >

        > <me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] said: 550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
        >

        > I know very little of what this means. I searched this and found pages, forums that describe a higher detail than I have ever seen before. I'm not into IT for a living and have never been skilled with stuff related to relays, mail gateways and that stuff. I just don't know what it means, all I care about is that I can send and receive email on my two websites.
      • /dev/rob0
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
          On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 07:24:00PM +0200, Postmaster wrote:
          > Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From postfix.org:
          >
          > IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
          > smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
          > at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix will
          > refuse to receive mail...
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictionst

          That would be without the "t" on the end, but anyway, no, that's not
          what's going on here.

          > On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
          > >I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work.

          Mail IS very difficult. Have you looked at outsourcing? I don't have
          any service I can particularly recommend, but Google used to have
          gratis mail hosting, and they probably still do it cheaply.

          Success at mail self-hosting is possible, but it will require more
          from you than perhaps you are willing to invest? And then it will
          need care and feeding, such as for spam control, and quick action
          when something goes wrong (suppose your server has a hardware
          failure, for example.)

          That said, I'll continue and try to point you to ways to find the
          answers to your questions.

          > >I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
          > >
          > >I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front of
          > >me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up. I
          > >followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP
          > >address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I
          > >also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for Multiple
          > >Domains"

          This doesn't really tell us what settings you used. Ralf or P@rick
          might be able to guess, but none of us should have to:

          > >So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
          > >

          > ><me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] said:
          > >550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
          > >unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

          Logging is a better resource than a bounce message, but this does
          tell us some things:
          1. Your system accepted and relayed for you (thus why Carsten,
          quoted above, was wrong.)
          2. Mail addressed to me@... was relayed to host
          mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
          3. host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] has joeswebsite.com
          listed in its $mydestination, but no Unix user nor alias of
          "me" was found.

          Either you have used someone's real domain as your example (don't
          do that!) or something is wrong with DNS:

          joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN MX 0 joeswebsite.com.
          joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN A 216.97.227.40
          mail.joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN CNAME joeswebsite.com.

          This should have gone to joeswebsite.com[216.97.227.40] and not to
          mail.joeswebsite.com. (It happens to be the same address, but the
          actual MX value would have been logged.) Your munged address was
          clearly not 216.97.227.40.
        • Carsten S.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
            On 06/24/2013 20:19, /dev/rob0 wrote:
            > On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 07:24:00PM +0200, Postmaster wrote:
            >> Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From postfix.org:
            >>
            >> IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
            >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
            >> at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix will
            >> refuse to receive mail...
            >>
            >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictionst
            > That would be without the "t" on the end, but anyway, no, that's not
            > what's going on here.

            Yep. My mistake.

            >> On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
            >>> I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work.
            > Mail IS very difficult. Have you looked at outsourcing? I don't have
            > any service I can particularly recommend, but Google used to have
            > gratis mail hosting, and they probably still do it cheaply.
            >
            > Success at mail self-hosting is possible, but it will require more
            > from you than perhaps you are willing to invest? And then it will
            > need care and feeding, such as for spam control, and quick action
            > when something goes wrong (suppose your server has a hardware
            > failure, for example.)

            Before I started to use Postfix I was using a product named Axigen. It's
            a nice clean (closed source) solution with free license for personal use.
            I can only recommended it. Especially during a start-up phase where you
            need to become familiar with basic emailing concepts.

            > That said, I'll continue and try to point you to ways to find the
            > answers to your questions.
            >
            >>> I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
            >>>
            >>> I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front of
            >>> me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up. I
            >>> followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP
            >>> address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I
            >>> also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for Multiple
            >>> Domains"
            > This doesn't really tell us what settings you used. Ralf or P@rick
            > might be able to guess, but none of us should have to:
            >
            > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
            >
            >>> So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
            >>>

            >>> <me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] said:
            >>> 550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
            >>> unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
            > Logging is a better resource than a bounce message, but this does
            > tell us some things:
            > 1. Your system accepted and relayed for you (thus why Carsten,
            > quoted above, was wrong.)
            > 2. Mail addressed to me@... was relayed to host
            > mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
            > 3. host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] has joeswebsite.com
            > listed in its $mydestination, but no Unix user nor alias of
            > "me" was found.

            Again, my mistake. I was worried about setting up an open relay.

          • postfix2013@...
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2013
              On June 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM, "/dev/rob0" <rob0@...> wrote:

              >On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 07:24:00PM +0200, Postmaster wrote:
              >> Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From
              >postfix.org:
              >>
              >> IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
              >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
              >> at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix
              >will
              >> refuse to receive mail...
              >>

              >http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictions
              >
              >That would be without the "t" on the end, but anyway, no, that's
              >not
              >what's going on here.
              >
              >> On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
              >> >I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work.
              >
              >Mail IS very difficult. Have you looked at outsourcing? I don't
              >have
              >any service I can particularly recommend, but Google used to have
              >gratis mail hosting, and they probably still do it cheaply.
              >
              >Success at mail self-hosting is possible, but it will require more
              >from you than perhaps you are willing to invest? And then it will
              >need care and feeding, such as for spam control, and quick action
              >when something goes wrong (suppose your server has a hardware
              >failure, for example.)
              >
              >That said, I'll continue and try to point you to ways to find the
              >answers to your questions.
              >
              >> >I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
              >> >
              >> >I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front
              >of
              >> >me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up.
              >> >followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP
              >> >address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I
              >> >also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for
              >Multiple
              >> >Domains"
              >
              >This doesn't really tell us what settings you used. Ralf or P@rick
              >might be able to guess, but none of us should have to:

              My main.cf is an attachment to the first e-mail.

              I did look in /var/log/mail.log and had a few warnings/errors of interest.

              warning: do not list domain xxxxxxxx.com in BOTH mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains

              and

              Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

              >http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
              >
              >> >So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
              >> >

              >> ><me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
              >said:
              >> >550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected:
              >User
              >> >unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
              >
              >Logging is a better resource than a bounce message, but this does
              >tell us some things:
              > 1. Your system accepted and relayed for you (thus why Carsten,
              > quoted above, was wrong.)
              > 2. Mail addressed to me@... was relayed to host
              > mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
              > 3. host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] has joeswebsite.com
              > listed in its $mydestination, but no Unix user nor alias of
              > "me" was found.
              >
              >Either you have used someone's real domain as your example (don't
              >do that!) or something is wrong with DNS:

              Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as it is.

              >joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN MX 0 joeswebsite.com.
              >joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN A 216.97.227.40
              >mail.joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN CNAME joeswebsite.com.
              >
              >This should have gone to joeswebsite.com[216.97.227.40] and not to
              >mail.joeswebsite.com. (It happens to be the same address, but the
              >actual MX value would have been logged.) Your munged address was
              >clearly not 216.97.227.40.
              >--
              > http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting
              > Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:
            • Titanus Eramius
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
                Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:22:00 -0500 skrev postfix2013@...:

                > Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name
                > like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the
                > records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is
                > precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as
                > it is.

                No, example.com and example.org is reserved by IANA with the specific
                purpose of being used as examples. Try to visit one of them.

                Cheers
              • Ansgar Wiechers
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
                  On 2013-06-24 postfix2013@... wrote:
                  > Holy cow? Two things I didn't expect. Somebody would own a goofy name
                  > like that and somebody else would actually feel like pulling the
                  > records to test that. I suppose example.com is taken too, which is
                  > precisely why I avoided it. I'm sure they get bugged all the time as
                  > it is.

                  You're mistaken. example.com, example.net and example.org as well as the
                  TLDs .test, .example, .invalid and .localhost were reserved for this
                  exact purpose. See RFC 2606 [1].

                  [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

                  Regards
                  Ansgar Wiechers