Re: myhostname and PTR

  • Newton Pasqualini Filho
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
      Sure!

      Or you can request to change this on your provider.

      Best regards
      Newton Pasqualini Filho
      newtonpasqualini@...

      Em 21/06/2013, às 12:24, Titanus Eramius <titanus@...> escreveu:

      > Hello
      >
      > I've searched several times about information on the PTR record, and
      > what myhostname in main.cf should be. The problem is not the
      > information, but the fact that I struggle to understand it...
      >
      > This server runs with the IP address 46.21.105.38 from a hosted VPS, and
      > using dig to do a reverse lookup gives
      > 46-21-105-38-static.serverhotell.net.
      >
      > Does this means I should use 46-21-105-38-static as myhostname?
      >
      > Thanks, titanus
    • DTNX Postmaster
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
        On Jun 21, 2013, at 17:26, Newton Pasqualini Filho <newtonpasqualini@...> wrote:

        > Sure!
        >
        > Or you can request to change this on your provider.

        Request a change from your provider, if it is not possible to change
        this through whatever control panel they provide. Choose a name in a
        domain that you control, in the form of 'hostname.domain.tld'. Use this
        as the hostname, mailname, in your MX records, and so on.

        The reason for this is that records that contain the IP address may get
        you filtered.

        If you do not have a domain you control, register one. Avoid .info, .pw
        as top-level domains for this.

        Make sure you create the A record for '46.21.105.38' first. Many
        automated PTR control panel tools will check whether it exists.

        Mvg,
        Jona

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
          On 6/21/2013 10:24 AM, Titanus Eramius wrote:
          > Hello
          >
          > I've searched several times about information on the PTR record, and
          > what myhostname in main.cf should be. The problem is not the
          > information, but the fact that I struggle to understand it...

          Ideally, the PTR, A record, and HELO hostname should all agree.

          > This server runs with the IP address 46.21.105.38 from a hosted VPS, and
          > using dig to do a reverse lookup gives
          > 46-21-105-38-static.serverhotell.net.

          There doesn't appear to be a matching A record for that PTR, so the
          setup is incomplete. Postfix will label such a host as "unknown".
          Most sites (but not all!) will still accept your mail.

          Best to request your hosting company to give you a custom PTR with
          your domain name, something like smtp.example.com, mx1.example.com,
          mail.example.com, etc. so your server looks like a mail server and
          not a random infected bot. If this host handles several domains,
          just pick one for the PTR and A record. No need to list them all.

          Whatever PTR you end up with, there should be a matching A record
          with the server address.

          > Does this means I should use 46-21-105-38-static as myhostname?

          While technically correct to use the
          46-21-105-38-static.serverhotell.net hostname, that's the same name
          a random infected bot will use and should be avoided.

          I would still suggest a myhostname setting that makes you look like
          a mail server instead of a random bot, even if it doesn't match the
          PTR. Make sure you also have an A record set for the hostname that
          points back to your server's IP.

          -- Noel Jones
        • Titanus Eramius
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
            Thank you for the replys, they are very helpful.

            I "own" this domain, and the danish handler of .dk allows all settings
            in DNS to be altered, but the hosting provider does not. All records
            besides PTR is within my control at the provider, so I guess it's a
            design decision they have taken, and I will contact them about this.

            Cheers