Re: Postfix Content Filter

  • Prasad R
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
      Thank you Wietse. This is the link I was reading: http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html and forth bullet from the bottom of the page.
      How can I configure the milter to get access to full content and use it after smtpd_proxy_filter? Any pointers on the documentation?

      On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      Prasad R:
      > I checked in to the SendMail Milter APIs but postfix documentation said,
      > its only used in Before Queue Content Filter and doesn't have access to the
      > full content of the email. And I didn't find the SendMail Milter API

      Your reading is incorrect. The Milter has access to the full content
      when it is NOT used before an smtpd_proxy_filter.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
        Prasad R:
        > Thank you Wietse. This is the link I was reading:
        > http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html and forth bullet from the bottom
        > of the page.
        > How can I configure the milter to get access to full content and use it
        > after smtpd_proxy_filter? Any pointers on the documentation?

        Documentation:

        man 5 master
        man 8 smtpd

        Example:

        /etc/postfix/master.cf
        # Before the smtpd-proxy-filter
        smtp ... ... ... ... smtpd
        -o smtpd_proxy_filter=xxx
        # After the smtpd-proxy-filter
        127.0.0.1:10025 ... ... ... ... smtpd
        -o smtpd_milters=yyy

        Wietse
      • Venkat R
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
          Thank you Wieste. Sorry for the repetition but the python or the Java version of the jitler a good option? My use case is very basic so Java is much preferred for milter development if jitler framework work with the postfix.

          Anyone tried Java version of the milter to get full email content with postfox?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
            Venkat R:
            > Thank you Wieste. Sorry for the repetition but the python or the Java vers
            >-ion of the jitler a good option? My use case is very basic so Java is much p
            >-referred for milter development if jitler framework work with the postfix.

            I wrote Postfix, and don't use every milter in the universe.

            Wietse
          • Sharma, Ashish
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
              Prasad,

              After going through the mail thread, following are my advices for you:

              1. sendmail-jilter (http://sendmail-jilter.sourceforge.net/) works on mail filter protocol, since Postfix also supports mail filter protocol, so it works with Postfix.

              Use following settings in your postfix 'main.cf' for sendmail-jilter to work properly with your Postfix setup:

              #Milter support for smtpd mail
              smtpd_milters =
              inet:localhost:10028

              milter_default_action = reject

              milter_protocol = 2

              You need to launch your mail filter (using sendmail -jilter) to be running on local machine port 10028 (any number you please).

              2. You can use subethasmtp (http://code.google.com/p/subethasmtp/), if you want to use a content filter for the tasks that you have mentioned.

              Use following settings in your postfix 'main.cf':

              content_filter = scan:localhost:10030

              Keep in mind that if you want to re-inject the emails back to postfix, you need to do appropriate settings in your 'master.cf' (refer postfix documentation).

              As a general rule I put relatively less time consuming / lightweight tasks for mail filter while other tasks I put in the content filter.

              Thanks
              Ashish