postfix munin graphs

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
      Does anyone have all 3 munin graphs working with the postfix plugin?
      My mailqueue graph works but for the others I get:

      # munin-run postfix_mailstats
      delivered.value U
      # munin-run postfix_mailvolume
      volume.value U

      I think I need to tell munin where my postfix logs are
      (/var/log/mail/current) since I use metalog. How can I do that?

      - Grant
    • Titanus Eramius
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
        Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:38:38 -0700 skrev Grant <emailgrant@...>:

        > I think I need to tell munin where my postfix logs are
        > (/var/log/mail/current) since I use metalog. How can I do that?
        >
        > - Grant

        Try'n read some documentation
        http://munin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

        Then check out /etc/munin/plugin-conf.d/munin-node

        And then, if Munin still doesn't work, the Munin-folks might be better
        to help out
        http://munin-monitoring.org/wiki/HowToGetHelp
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
          >> I think I need to tell munin where my postfix logs are
          >> (/var/log/mail/current) since I use metalog. How can I do that?
          >>
          >> - Grant
          >
          > Try'n read some documentation
          > http://munin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

          I've read a lot of it but:

          "0 Results for postfix"

          > Then check out /etc/munin/plugin-conf.d/munin-node

          I've successfully configured apache and nginx in that file but munin
          postfix config is extremely hard to find online.

          - Grant

          > And then, if Munin still doesn't work, the Munin-folks might be better
          > to help out
          > http://munin-monitoring.org/wiki/HowToGetHelp
        • Bjørn Ruberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
            On 06/19/2013 08:18 AM, Grant wrote:
            >>> I think I need to tell munin where my postfix logs are
            >>> (/var/log/mail/current) since I use metalog. How can I do that?
            >>>
            >>> - Grant
            >> Try'n read some documentation
            >> http://munin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
            > I've read a lot of it but:
            >
            > "0 Results for postfix"
            >
            >> Then check out /etc/munin/plugin-conf.d/munin-node
            > I've successfully configured apache and nginx in that file but munin
            > postfix config is extremely hard to find online.

            Instead of searching online, use the built-in pod based format, e.g.:

            $ munindoc postfix_mailstats

            NAME
            postfix_mailstats - Plugin to monitor the number of mails
            delivered and rejected by postfix

            CONFIGURATION
            Configuration parameters for /etc/munin/postfix_mailstats, if
            you need to override the defaults below:

            [postfix_mailstats]
            env.logdir - Which logfile to use
            env.logfile - What file to read in logdir

            DEFAULT CONFIGURATION
            [postfix_mailstats]
            env.logdir /var/log
            env.logfile mail.log

            Munin plugins are controlled by the files in /etc/munin/plugin-conf.d/.
            Based on the above, either create a section for postfix_mailstats in the
            file "munin-node" or create a new one (they will all be parsed),
            detailing the location of your mail log.

            Explicitly, if your mail log is /var/log/mail/current, add this:
            [postfix_mailstats]
            env.logdir /var/log/mail
            env.logfile current

            You might also need to set group permissions to be able to read the log
            file.

            --
            Bjørn
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013

              > Instead of searching online, use the built-in pod based format, e.g.:
              >
              > $ munindoc postfix_mailstats

              You just improved my life.

              > You might also need to set group permissions to be able to read the log
              > file.

              I have this on /var/log/mail/:

              drwx------ 2 root root

              Since Gentoo set it up this way, I wonder if changing it would open a
              hole. What do you think?

              - Grant
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013

                >> Instead of searching online, use the built-in pod based format, e.g.:
                >>
                >> $ munindoc postfix_mailstats
                >
                > You just improved my life.
                >
                >> You might also need to set group permissions to be able to read the log
                >> file.
                >
                > I have this on /var/log/mail/:
                >
                > drwx------ 2 root root
                >
                > Since Gentoo set it up this way, I wonder if changing it would open a
                > hole. What do you think?
                >
                > - Grant

                Actually, it seems to be working with permissions as-is. How can that
                be since apache runs as apache:apache?

                - Grant
              • Tom Hendrikx
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
                  On 06/19/2013 10:03 AM, Grant wrote:

                  >>> Instead of searching online, use the built-in pod based format, e.g.:
                  >>>
                  >>> $ munindoc postfix_mailstats
                  >>
                  >> You just improved my life.
                  >>
                  >>> You might also need to set group permissions to be able to read the log
                  >>> file.
                  >>
                  >> I have this on /var/log/mail/:
                  >>
                  >> drwx------ 2 root root
                  >>
                  >> Since Gentoo set it up this way, I wonder if changing it would open a
                  >> hole. What do you think?
                  >>
                  >> - Grant
                  >
                  > Actually, it seems to be working with permissions as-is. How can that
                  > be since apache runs as apache:apache?

                  The webinterface (running as apache:apache) does not collect the data,
                  the munin-node daemon does that. Probably the data collection is
                  configured to run as root (at least for the postfix plugin).

                  Again, read the docs ;) You seem to have missed (a part of) the basic
                  understanding of how munin works...

                  --
                  Tom
                • Grant
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013

                    >>> You just improved my life.

                    >>> I have this on /var/log/mail/:
                    >>>
                    >>> drwx------ 2 root root
                    >>>
                    >>> Since Gentoo set it up this way, I wonder if changing it would open a
                    >>> hole. What do you think?
                    >>>
                    >>> - Grant
                    >>
                    >> Actually, it seems to be working with permissions as-is. How can that
                    >> be since apache runs as apache:apache?
                    >
                    > The webinterface (running as apache:apache) does not collect the data,
                    > the munin-node daemon does that. Probably the data collection is
                    > configured to run as root (at least for the postfix plugin).
                    >
                    > Again, read the docs ;) You seem to have missed (a part of) the basic
                    > understanding of how munin works...

                    I knew that. I just didn't think it through. :) Thanks for your help!

                    - Grant
                  • Marko Weber | ZBF
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
                      Am 2013-06-19 09:56, schrieb Grant:

                      >> Instead of searching online, use the built-in pod based format, e.g.:
                      >>
                      >> $ munindoc postfix_mailstats
                      >
                      > You just improved my life.
                      >
                      >> You might also need to set group permissions to be able to read the
                      >> log
                      >> file.
                      >
                      > I have this on /var/log/mail/:
                      >
                      > drwx------ 2 root root

                      > Since Gentoo set it up this way, I wonder if changing it would open a
                      > hole. What do you think?

                      i think u should define your syslog-ng.conf. this is not part of the
                      gentoo package maintainer.
                      here munin works like a charm. with postfix.

                      marko