Re: postscreen log lines reporting warnings and fatal errors

  • Benny Pedersen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2013
      wietse@... skrev den 2013-06-15 02:36:

      > My advice is to avoid installing multiple Berkeley DB copies, and
      > to use the Berkeley DB that comes with the operating system.

      locate postfix/postscreen
      ldd <result-path>

      will show the problem why it fails

      under gentoo its "ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/postscreen"

      if its a break its fixed by issueing revdep-rebuild

    • Robert Lopez
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
        It would not surprise me in the least to find out I did something wrong. :-}

        I know I did "yum install db4-devel" as part of packages I believed
        were prerequisites to installing Postfix.
        My recall is that I was missing a /usr/include file when test building
        a Postfix and I did a "yum provides" that lead me to the decision to
        install db4-devel.

        I am not convinced there are two copied of Berkeley DB installed.

        Does this look like two Berkeley DB copies? ...

        [root@mg08 ~]# locate postfix/postscreen
        /etc/postfix/postscreen_access.cidr
        /usr/libexec/postfix/postscreen
        /var/lib/postfix/postscreen_cache.db
        /var/www/postfix/postscreen.8.html
        [root@mg08 ~]# ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/postscreen
        linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff31fff000)
        libpcre.so.0 => /lib64/libpcre.so.0 (0x00007fcc8fc38000)
        libdb-4.7.so => /lib64/libdb-4.7.so (0x00007fcc8f8c4000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib64/libnsl.so.1 (0x00007fcc8f6aa000)
        libresolv.so.2 => /lib64/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007fcc8f490000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007fcc8f0fd000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fcc8eedf000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fcc8fe6d000)
        [root@mg08 ~]# locate libdb
        /lib64/libdb-4.7.so
        /lib64/libdbus-1.so.3
        /lib64/libdbus-1.so.3.4.0
        /usr/lib64/libdb-4.7.so
        /usr/lib64/libdb.so
        /usr/lib64/libdb_cxx-4.7.so
        /usr/lib64/libdb_cxx.so
        /usr/lib64/libdbus-glib-1.so.2
        /usr/lib64/libdbus-glib-1.so.2.1.0
        /usr/share/doc/rsyslog-5.8.10/omlibdbi.html
        [root@mg08 ~]# locate include/db
        /usr/include/db.h
        /usr/include/db4
        /usr/include/db_185.h
        /usr/include/db_cxx.h
        /usr/include/db4/db.h
        /usr/include/db4/db_185.h
        /usr/include/db4/db_cxx.h
        /usr/local/src/postfix-2.10.0/include/db_common.h

        This is an install on a VM instance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
        release 6.4 (Santiago), Linux mg08 2.6.32-358.6.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP
        Fri Mar 29 16:51:51 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

        --
        Robert Lopez
        Unix Systems Administrator
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
          Robert Lopez:
          > It would not surprise me in the least to find out I did something wrong. :-}
          >
          > I know I did "yum install db4-devel" as part of packages I believed
          > were prerequisites to installing Postfix.
          > My recall is that I was missing a /usr/include file when test building
          > a Postfix and I did a "yum provides" that lead me to the decision to
          > install db4-devel.

          I suggest that you install a compiled version of Postfix, and that
          you use a simpler program to become familiar with the process of
          building your own binaries.

          Running ldd(1) on Postfix will not show if some library has its own
          dependency on a DIFFERENT Berkeley DB version. While Postfix will
          report library mis-matches if it can, other libraries may not, and
          just thrash your memory.

          Wietse
        • Robert Lopez
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
            On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

            > I suggest that you install a compiled version of Postfix, and that
            > you use a simpler program to become familiar with the process of
            > building your own binaries.

            There existed a project goal to install a postfix with postscreen.
            The goal was set because one night a botnet had crashed two production
            mail gateways which were both coming up on retirement dates.
            The crashing had never been seen before (or since for that matter).

            There exists another goal of moving all college RHEL4 and RHEL 5
            physical servers to RHEL 6 on VM as they reach retirement.

            The currently available Redhat yum package (binary) for RHEL 6 is postfix 2.6.6.

            The ftp.wl0.org site has no package for RHEL 6.
            It does have a 2.9 package for RHEL 5.

            A development build of a VM using RHEL 5 and 2.9 from ftp.wl0.org was built.
            Another development build of a VM using RHEL 6 and 2.10.0 from source was built.
            A team of people examined both development servers and did not detect
            the problem.

            The postfix 2.10.0 compiled build on RHEL 6 was selected because it
            satisfied both goals.

            Another VM instance was built in a test environment using the exact
            same scripts (except for IP and hostname; read from include file).
            It was tested by another team for a few weeks and the current problem
            was not detected.

            A production server was built using all the same build scripts that
            built the previous servers.
            Only under real production load did the problem become apparent and
            only after over two weeks of production use.

            Wietse, Thank you. At this point I must take your advice to my team
            and management to discuss our options.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
              After looking at past logs an seeing the errors only began after the
              email gateway had been running for a few weeks, I deleted the
              /var/lib/postfix/postscreen_cache.db.
              Restarting postfix now has a happy postscreen+bdb again.