Re: STARTTLS not announced?!

  • Benny Pedersen
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
      Nabil Alsharif skrev den 2013-06-15 01:57:

      please disable html

      > smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
      > smtp_use_tls = yes

      smtp_ is for sending

      > smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP
      > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
      > reject_unauth_destination
      > smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
      > smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes

      this disable starttls since we already is using ssl/tls now

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
        Nabil Alsharif:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I just setup postfix on my server but I'm having a problem with TLS. I
        > have TLS configured, there are no errors in the log, but the server does
        > not announce TLS support.Here is the output relevant output from
        > 'postconf -n', the full output is at the end of the message:

        Have you looked at all the warning messages in the maillog file?

        http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

        Wietse
      • Nabil Alsharif
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
          On 06/15/2013 02:38 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
          > Nabil Alsharif skrev den 2013-06-15 01:57:
          >
          > please disable html
          My bad..

          >> smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
          >> smtp_use_tls = yes
          >
          > smtp_ is for sending
          Ok so these two options are telling Postfix to check if STARTTLS is
          offered by the peer and use TLS if available, right?

          >> smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP
          >> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
          >> reject_unauth_destination
          >> smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
          >> smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
          >
          > this disable starttls since we already is using ssl/tls now
          huh? This part I don't quite understand. How are we disabling TLS? Where
          was it enabled before? when we said smtp_use_tls = yes?

          >> smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
          >> smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
          >> smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
          >> smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt
          >> smtpd_use_tls = yes

        • Nabil Alsharif
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
            On 06/15/2013 02:39 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

            Have you looked at all the warning messages in the maillog file?

            Yes I have, there are no errors or warnings. 'postfix check' doesn't
            return any warnings or errors either.
          • /dev/rob0
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
              On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 01:57:12AM +0200, Nabil Alsharif wrote:
              > I just setup postfix on my server but I'm having a problem with
              > TLS. I have TLS configured, there are no errors in the log, but
              > the server does not announce TLS support.Here is the output
              > relevant output from 'postconf -n', the full output is at the
              > end of the message:
              >
              > smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
              > smtp_use_tls = yes

              smtp_* settings control smtp(8), the SMTP client, so no, those are
              not relevant to the server's failure to announce STARTTLS. (Also,
              smtp_use_tls is deprecated, superceded by smtp_tls_security_level.)

              > smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP
              > smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
              > reject_unauth_destination

              Those aren't relevant either. (I'd suggest leaving the default
              $smtpd_banner setting, however.)

              > smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
              > smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
              > smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
              > smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem

              I'm no OpenSSL expert, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong to have your
              own server certificate and key in the same file with your CAs. See
              TLS_README.html#server_tls for basic server TLS settings.

              > smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
              > smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt

              What? Do you understand what this means? It's not suitable for an
              Internet mail exchanger, because many sites will not use TLS (TLS
              isn't required for mail service.)

              > smtpd_use_tls = yes

              Deprecated, superceded by smtpd_tls_security_level.

              > Like I saidthe server does not announce STARTTLS:

              What you showed us should have announced STARTTLS. I would guess the
              problem is related to the single file certificate+key+CAs. Since you
              mentioned upthread that no errors are logged, check your syslogd (try
              restarting it.) These errors would be logged.
            • Benny Pedersen
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                Nabil Alsharif skrev den 2013-06-15 02:59:

                >>> smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
                >>> smtp_use_tls = yes
                >>
                >> smtp_ is for sending
                > Ok so these two options are telling Postfix to check if STARTTLS is
                > offered by the peer and use TLS if available, right?

                correct

                >>> smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP
                >>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
                >>> reject_unauth_destination
                >>> smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
                >>> smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
                >>
                >> this disable starttls since we already is using ssl/tls now
                > huh? This part I don't quite understand. How are we disabling TLS?
                > Where was it enabled before? when we said smtp_use_tls = yes?

                it does not disable tls/ssl, but it removes starttls in plain
                connection without tls/ssl

                smtpd vs smtp confusion ?

                with that setting all smtpd_ clients must use tls or ssl

                >>> smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
                >>> smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
                >>> smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
                >>> smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt
                >>> smtpd_use_tls = yes

                note here its recieving part of postfix not sending

              • Benny Pedersen
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                  /dev/rob0 skrev den 2013-06-15 03:22:

                  > What you showed us should have announced STARTTLS. I would guess the
                  > problem is related to the single file certificate+key+CAs. Since you
                  > mentioned upthread that no errors are logged, check your syslogd (try
                  > restarting it.) These errors would be logged.

                  starttls have nothing to do with self signers

                • Jan Kohnert
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                    Am Samstag, 15. Juni 2013, 03:45:02 schrieb Benny Pedersen:

                    > >> this disable starttls since we already is using ssl/tls now
                    > >
                    > > huh? This part I don't quite understand. How are we disabling TLS?
                    > > Where was it enabled before? when we said smtp_use_tls = yes?
                    >
                    > it does not disable tls/ssl, but it removes starttls in plain
                    > connection without tls/ssl

                    Well, no, it disables AUTH without tls/ssl but not STARTTLS, IIRC.

                    --
                    MfG Jan
                  • Benny Pedersen
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                      Jan Kohnert skrev den 2013-06-15 03:58:

                      > Well, no, it disables AUTH without tls/ssl but not STARTTLS, IIRC.

                      starttls have nothing to do with auth or not

                      auth users can still send plain passwords over unsecured smtpd client
                      connections, starttls just secure there passwords, so tcpdumpers cant
                      see it

                      postfix still anounce auth on port 25 with sasl disabled in main.cf,
                      here i have only sasl on submission / smtps

                      bug ?

                    • /dev/rob0
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                        On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 03:45:02AM +0200, Benny Pedersen wrote:

                        > >>smtp_ is for sending
                        > >Ok so these two options are telling Postfix to check if STARTTLS
                        > >is offered by the peer and use TLS if available, right?
                        >
                        > correct

                        smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer means to note (i.e., log) when a remote
                        server offers STARTTLS. "smtp_use_tls=yes" is the same as (replaced
                        by) "smtp_tls_security_level=may". All of these are covered in the
                        TLS_README.html (except for the deprecated settings, of course.)

                        And none of this is relevant to the $SUBJECT at hand.

                        > >>this disable starttls since we already is using ssl/tls now

                        Wrong, Benny. See postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_auth_only and the
                        correction posted by Jan, with which you tried to argue.

                        > >huh? This part I don't quite understand. How are we
                        > >disabling TLS?

                        We're not. That was wrong.

                        > >Where was it enabled before? when we said smtp_use_tls = yes?

                        That deprecated setting is not relevant.

                        > it does not disable tls/ssl, but it removes starttls in plain
                        > connection without tls/ssl

                        Also wrong.

                        > smtpd vs smtp confusion ?
                        >
                        > with that setting all smtpd_ clients must use tls or ssl

                        With smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt, yes; not with
                        smtpd_tls_auth_only=yes. Wrong and misleading posts will not help.

                        I think the OP will have to fix the logging problem before we can
                        solve this issue.
                      • Benny Pedersen
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                          /dev/rob0 skrev den 2013-06-15 05:27:

                          > I think the OP will have to fix the logging problem before we can
                          > solve this issue.

                          it would be more relative simple to use more default settings, if OP is
                          unsure what to do

                          sorry if i write it such it could be missunderstandelble :(

                        • Jan Kohnert
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                            Am Samstag, 15. Juni 2013, 04:03:44 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
                            > Jan Kohnert skrev den 2013-06-15 03:58:
                            > > Well, no, it disables AUTH without tls/ssl but not STARTTLS, IIRC.
                            >
                            > starttls have nothing to do with auth or not

                            Come on, read the documentation:

                            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_auth_only

                            --
                            MfG Jan
                          • Benny Pedersen
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                              Jan Kohnert skrev den 2013-06-15 10:57:

                              > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_auth_only

                              do i need to tell it in --verbose ?

                              starttls have nothing to do with auth, just becurse this option have
                              tls and auth in one line does not make tls/ssl needed to make auth work

                            • Jeroen Geilman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                                On 06/15/2013 12:13 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                                > Jan Kohnert skrev den 2013-06-15 10:57:
                                >
                                >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_auth_only
                                >
                                > do i need to tell it in --verbose ?
                                >
                                > starttls have nothing to do with auth, just becurse this option have
                                > tls and auth in one line does not make tls/ssl needed to make auth work

                                Quoted from the above documentation:

                                smtpd_tls_auth_only (default: no)
                                "When TLS encryption is optional in the Postfix SMTP server, do
                                not announce or accept SASL authentication over unencrypted connections. "

                                In other words, yes, setting this option in conjunction with
                                "smtpd_tls_security_level = may" *requires* TLS in order to AUTH.

                                smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt means the server will *reject* any
                                commands that are not STARTTLS, until a TLS connection has been established.

                                This includes AUTH.

                                --
                                J.
                              • Benny Pedersen
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                                  Jeroen Geilman skrev den 2013-06-15 15:35:

                                  > Quoted from the above documentation:
                                  >
                                  > smtpd_tls_auth_only (default: no)
                                  > "When TLS encryption is optional in the Postfix SMTP server,
                                  > do not announce or accept SASL authentication over unencrypted
                                  > connections. "

                                  it does not say it disables auth anywhere, it just says it would not be
                                  possible to connect without starttls or not, starttls on its own have
                                  nothing to do with auth or not

                                  check your own logs how many clients use starttls without auth

                                  just becurse it seldom seen in real life that no one will send auth
                                  over an non tls/ssl does not mean it does not work

                                  postfix have both auth and starttls, starttls is just for clients to
                                  use ssl/tls on port 25, email clients will not use starttls in 2013,
                                  since submission is the right thing anyway

                                  > In other words, yes, setting this option in conjunction with
                                  > "smtpd_tls_security_level = may" *requires* TLS in order to AUTH.
                                  >
                                  > smtpd_tls_security_level = encrypt means the server will *reject* any
                                  > commands that are not STARTTLS, until a TLS connection has been
                                  > established.
                                  >
                                  > This includes AUTH.

                                  it still not needed to use ssl/tls to make auth work

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                                    Benny Pedersen:
                                    > Jeroen Geilman skrev den 2013-06-15 15:35:
                                    >
                                    > > Quoted from the above documentation:
                                    > >
                                    > > smtpd_tls_auth_only (default: no)
                                    > > "When TLS encryption is optional in the Postfix SMTP server,
                                    > > do not announce or accept SASL authentication over unencrypted
                                    > > connections. "
                                    >
                                    > it does not say it disables auth anywhere,

                                    The server does not announce or accept AUTH, therefore AUTH it is disabled.

                                    Wietse
                                  • Benny Pedersen
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                                      wietse@... skrev den 2013-06-15 16:13:

                                      > The server does not announce or accept AUTH, therefore AUTH it is
                                      > disabled.

                                      auth does not need starttls, if auth is not anounced then auth is
                                      disabled

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                                        > smtpd_tls_auth_only (default: no)
                                        > "When TLS encryption is optional in the Postfix SMTP server,
                                        > do not announce or accept SASL authentication over unencrypted
                                        > connections. "

                                        Benny Pedersen:
                                        > auth does not need starttls, if auth is not anounced then auth is
                                        > disabled

                                        AUTH requires STARTTLS with smtpd_tls_auth_only=yes.

                                        In view of your contributions in recent threads, you are one
                                        step away from removal from this mailing list.

                                        Wietse
                                      • Peter
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                                          I do realize that this thread probably shouldn't be continued, however I
                                          see some gross miss-statements here that need correcting so that someone
                                          browsing the thread won't be mislead by them at a later time...

                                          On 06/16/2013 01:58 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                                          >> smtpd_tls_auth_only (default: no)
                                          >> "When TLS encryption is optional in the Postfix SMTP server,
                                          >> do not announce or accept SASL authentication over unencrypted
                                          >> connections. "
                                          >
                                          > it does not say it disables auth anywhere, it just says it would not be
                                          > possible to connect without starttls or not,

                                          No it disabled auth until STARTTLS is established. It has nothing to do
                                          with the connection.

                                          > just becurse it seldom seen in real life that no one will send auth over
                                          > an non tls/ssl does not mean it does not work

                                          It does not work if smtpd_tls_auth_only is set to yes.

                                          > starttls is just for clients to use ssl/tls on port 25,

                                          Actually clients shouldn't use port 25, and neither should you be using
                                          auth on port 25. Clients will use STARTTLS on port 587, however, and
                                          both postfix and MUAs can be configured to use STARTTLS on any port you
                                          wish (via master.cf).

                                          > email clients will not use starttls in 2013,

                                          Seriously? So how is an MUA intended to establish an encrypted
                                          connection to an MSA, then?

                                          > since submission is the right thing anyway

                                          Submission is a port (587) which uses the (e)smtp protocol to submit
                                          messages from an MUA (email client) to an MSA (email submission server)
                                          and can use STARTTLS for encryption. There is no other way to do
                                          encryption on the submission port.

                                          > it still not needed to use ssl/tls to make auth work

                                          It is if you set smtpd_tls_auth_only=yes.

                                          Peter