Re: problem sending some email from mailman

  • Jeroen Geilman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2013
      On 06/14/2013 11:08 PM, Ben Greenfield wrote:
      > Hey All,
      >
      > Please excuse my loose terminology in the following description as I barely know what I'm doing.
      >

      > I have a strange problem where I'm unable to send some mail from mailman using a postfix installation on the same host.
      > I have postfix mail_version 2.8.4 I have users authenticating and sending mail no problem. I have mailing lists set-up and working no problem. We have our dsl through verizon with a static ip and we have been relaying our mail through outgoing.verizon.net. I tried to send 1662 emails which did not send and are currently waiting in mailman/qfiles/retry.
      >
      > I think what happened is verizon said no way and rejected all the emails. Here is the error that is being generated by the emails waiting to be sent
      >
      > Jun 14 17:00:16 services postfix/smtpd[28663]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from localhost[::1]: 554 5.7.1 <karen@...>: Relay access denied; from=<news-bounces@...> to=<karen@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<services.calder.org>

      Your postfix server is refusing to relay mail for this domain.
      This means the client is not in mynetworks, or did not AUTH, or the
      destination is not in relay_domains.

      > I know that the reverse lookup for my mail server is currently incorrect. I'm waiting for the update to be made and trying to make sure it is not something else.

      It is not that to begin with; no external sources are involved.
      > Is that the problem?

      Nope.
      YOUR postfix server is refusing to relay mail to those destinations.

      > While reading the table in the SMTPD_ACCESS_README on the website I don't find an exact match RCPT from only RCPT TO int eh Effect of Reject column.

      I could not parse that.

      > I guess the first question is once my reverse dns is corrected will my mail likely work?

      Definitely not, as the problem is not related to it.

      > Any other insight that can be shed on any of the above would be appreciated.

      As mentioned when you joined this list, please provide the output of
      postconf -n, and the logs for at least one entire message, not just some
      snippet.

      --
      J.
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2013
        * Ben Greenfield <ben@...>:

        > Jun 14 17:00:16 services postfix/smtpd[28663]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from localhost[::1]: 554 5.7.1 <karen@...>: Relay access denied; from=<news-bounces@...> to=<karen@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<services.calder.org>
        > Jun 14 17:00:27 services postfix/smtpd[28663]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from localhost[::1]: 554 5.7.1 <tony@...>: Relay access denied; from=<news-bounces@...> to=<tony@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<services.calder.org>
        > Jun 14 17:00:38 services postfix/smtpd[28663]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from localhost[::1]: 554 5.7.1 <fhirsch@...>: Relay access denied; from=<news-bounces@servi

        Add ::1 to mynetworks.
        It probably only has 127.0.0.1 there...

        --