Re: introducing mopher, the mail gopher

  • Bastian Blank
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
      On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37:11PM +0200, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
      > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:08:00PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
      > > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 08:50:42AM +0200, Manuel Badzong wrote:
      > > > I would like to introduce mail gopher, a new all-in-one, MIT-licensed
      > > > mail filter.
      > > How does it relate to Postfix?
      > It's a milter that some people on this list might find useful.

      So it only supports what the milter server can do.

      > > > Mopher can:
      > > > + tarpit hosts
      > > Bad idea in userspace.
      > So kernel space then?

      A milter can't do that anyway, the communication is controlled by the
      other side of the milter connection. You can wait a long time for each
      response, but this does not get you anything.

      > > > + count failed/successful delivery attempts by hosts
      > > What do you want to do with this information?
      > Whitelisting based on the amount of successfully delivered mails is
      > probably the best example.

      You need whitelisting for high volume senders, because they split stuff
      over larger address ranges. Those also produce a high rejection rate
      (not: ratio).

      > > > + PSL (by Mozilla, see http://publicsuffix.org/)
      > > What is the use for this?
      > It helps with domain-based greylisting. There are no simple rules when
      > figuring out the registered part of a fqdn.

      So you do greylisting based on DNS reverse lookups?

      Bastian

      --
      Extreme feminine beauty is always disturbing.
      -- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
        Bastian Blank skrev den 2013-06-14 12:08:

        >> + PSL (by Mozilla, see http://publicsuffix.org/)
        > What is the use for this? This all is focused on web.

        patch postfix to not accept mails with dns A/AAAA records, there is
        ignorants everywhere

      • Petar Bogdanovic
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 14, 2013
          On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:48:51PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
          > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37:11PM +0200, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
          > > It's a milter that some people on this list might find useful.
          >
          > So it only supports what the milter server can do.

          Mopher is a milter (or mail filter) and the original mail never
          described it as being anything else than a milter (e.g. an MTA).

          > > So kernel space then?
          >
          > A milter can't do that anyway,

          It was a rhetorical question since I wasn't sure what you were saying.

          > > It helps with domain-based greylisting. There are no simple rules when
          > > figuring out the registered part of a fqdn.
          >
          > So you do greylisting based on DNS reverse lookups?

          In that particular case, mopher doesn't need to do any lookups but uses
          whatever libmilter provides as sender hostname (which, at least in case
          of Postfix, should be a PTR RR that matches with the according A RR).
          It then extracts the registered part with the help of the PSL rule-set.

          The default greylisting is therefore based on the following triplet:
          sender domain (the registered part), envelope from and recipient.

          Petar Bogdanovic