Re: Bulk Mailing Performance

    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
      On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 03:53:17PM -0700, fletch wrote:

      > What do you mean by: "...they can not come close to postfix as far as email
      > standards go"? My understanding is that powermta fully complies with the
      > various RFCs.
      >
      > Also, I'm sure there are far more spammers using free software like postfix
      > rather than paying for a commercial product.

      Let's not go down this rabbit-hole. At this point in the thread we're no
      longer talking about Postfix.

    • Marius Gologan
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 30, 2013
        Bulk doesn't mean to blast the world in 1 second with emails.

        1) The magic of PowerMTA consists in rotating IPs base on returned codes and
        returned message patterns. e.g.: if an IP addresses is banned by an ESP,
        will backoff on a different IP address in order in an attempt to achieve
        delivery. Thus, is designed for email marketing area, not for corporate
        email service.
        If you read the 330 pages guide you'll find that, by default, is sending 2
        messages via 2 parallel connections. Can be increased considerable, but you
        need to be a genius in 'warp speed' throttling and have IPs+Sender Domains
        as Amazon SES has.
        It is very limited for inbound messages handling.

        2) Postfix is a true performance MTA, used world wide (mature).
        The Magic of Postfix is quite complex. E.g: unlike PowerMTA, provides
        dynamic/adaptive throttling which is quite intelligent. It looks like it
        doesn't provide a way for rotating IPs as PowerMTA does. Thus, I don't see
        how spammers prefer Postfix. I'm still learning about Postfix secrets and
        how much creative can be.
        In my opinion, the performance for bulk deliverability should be reduce in
        Postfix, not increased, in order to meat ESP requirements in these days.

        Both MTAs are designed for two different purposes, thus, you cannot compare
        them.

        Postfix, on a *nix machine, is a true Email Server - a complex platform with
        many features, covering all aspects and requirements you can imagine (except
        the one mentioned above), but, often, many steps ahead MS Exchange.
        PowerMTA is an advanced sending software application for email marketers,
        covering exclusively their requirements and needs of rotating IPs per ESP.

        Marius.