Re: sent mail to the mail list which contains myself

  • lists@...
    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2013
      On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:04:09 +0800
      Bu Xiaobing <bushurui@...> wrote:

      > When I send mails to the mail list that contains myself, I will
      > received the mail.
      >
      > Is there any way to discard there mails sent back to the original
      > sender in the mail list?

      This not related to postfix. But if you're using Mailman to manage mail
      list, there are option to change this behavior.. look at "Receive your
      own posts to the list?" and set it to "No".
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28, 2013
        On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 04:04:09PM +0800, Bu Xiaobing wrote:
        > When I send mails to the mail list that contains myself, I will
        > received the mail.
        >
        > Is there any way to discard there mails sent back to the original
        > sender in the mail list?

        If you mean THIS mailing list, no, it does not offer that feature.
        You'll have to find a way in your MDA or your MUA.
      • Bu Xiaobing
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 2013
          On 2013-5-28 16:12, lists@... wrote:
          > On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:04:09 +0800
          > Bu Xiaobing <bushurui@...> wrote:
          >
          >> When I send mails to the mail list that contains myself, I will
          >> received the mail.
          >>
          >> Is there any way to discard there mails sent back to the original
          >> sender in the mail list?
          >>

          > This not related to postfix. But if you're using Mailman to manage mail
          > list, there are option to change this behavior.. look at "Receive your
          > own posts to the list?" and set it to "No".

          The mail lists built for internal use only, the lists/members are maintained by LDAP, so I think the Mailman can't help.
        • Stan Hoeppner
          Message 4 of 9 , May 28, 2013
            On 5/28/2013 9:11 PM, Bu Xiaobing wrote:
            > On 2013-5-28 16:12, lists@... wrote:
            >> On Tue, 28 May 2013 16:04:09 +0800
            >> Bu Xiaobing <bushurui@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> When I send mails to the mail list that contains myself, I will
            >>> received the mail.
            >>>
            >>> Is there any way to discard there mails sent back to the original
            >>> sender in the mail list?
            >>>

            >> This not related to postfix. But if you're using Mailman to manage mail
            >> list, there are option to change this behavior.. look at "Receive your
            >> own posts to the list?" and set it to "No".
            >>

            > The mail lists built for internal use only, the lists/members are
            > maintained by LDAP, so I think the Mailman can't help.

            What you have is called a "distribution list". As others mentioned, if
            you want the feature you describe, you will need to use mailing list
            manager software for everyone in the list to have this option.

            If you want this only for yourself, again as mentioned, create a
            rule/filter in your MUA to discard such messages.

            --
            Stan
          • Bu Xiaobing
            Message 5 of 9 , May 29, 2013
              On 2013-5-29 13:24, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
              > On 5/28/2013 9:11 PM, Bu Xiaobing wrote:
              >> On 2013-5-28 16:12, lists@... wrote:

              >>> This not related to postfix. But if you're using Mailman to manage mail
              >>> list, there are option to change this behavior.. look at "Receive your
              >>> own posts to the list?" and set it to "No".
              >>>

              >> The mail lists built for internal use only, the lists/members are
              >> maintained by LDAP, so I think the Mailman can't help.
              >
              > What you have is called a "distribution list". As others mentioned, if
              > you want the feature you describe, you will need to use mailing list
              > manager software for everyone in the list to have this option.
              >
              > If you want this only for yourself, again as mentioned, create a
              > rule/filter in your MUA to discard such messages.

              We have many mail groups or "distribution list" maintained by our LDAP server as defined by the parameter virtual_alias_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-virtual.cf

              So we just need add the feature like "Don't receive your own posts to the distribution list" and the mail groups still maintained by the LDAP server.

              Else if we choose mailman, the mail lists or mail groups will maintained by mailman, and then we cannot maintain members in lists by one administrator.
            • Stan Hoeppner
              Message 6 of 9 , May 29, 2013
                On 5/29/2013 2:03 AM, Bu Xiaobing wrote:
                > On 2013-5-29 13:24, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

                >>> The mail lists built for internal use only, the lists/members are
                >>> maintained by LDAP, so I think the Mailman can't help.
                >>
                >> What you have is called a "distribution list". As others mentioned, if
                >> you want the feature you describe, you will need to use mailing list
                >> manager software for everyone in the list to have this option.
                >>
                >> If you want this only for yourself, again as mentioned, create a
                >> rule/filter in your MUA to discard such messages.
                >>

                > We have many mail groups or "distribution list" maintained by our LDAP
                > server as defined by the parameter virtual_alias_maps =
                > ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-virtual.cf
                >
                > So we just need add the feature like "Don't receive your own posts to
                > the distribution list" and the mail groups still maintained by the LDAP
                > server.

                As far as I know this isn't possible.

                > Else if we choose mailman, the mail lists or mail groups will maintained
                > by mailman, and then we cannot maintain members in lists by one
                > administrator.

                This is a programmatic issue. You can't be the first to climb this
                hill. Look around. Someone has probably already written a script to do
                this.

                --
                Stan
              • LuKreme
                Message 7 of 9 , May 29, 2013
                  On 29 May 2013, at 01:03 , Bu Xiaobing <bushurui@...> wrote:
                  > Else if we choose mailman, the mail lists or mail groups will maintained by mailman, and then we cannot maintain members in lists by one administrator.

                  Why not? Mailman is quite simple to maintain.

                  --
                  Ah, you're a Penguin too? Pilgrim, my son. Pilgrim. Yes, of the Hare
                  Krishnas. Hairy Fishnuts.
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 30, 2013
                    On 2013-05-29 7:20 PM, LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:
                    > On 29 May 2013, at 01:03 , Bu Xiaobing <bushurui@...> wrote:
                    >> Else if we choose mailman, the mail lists or mail groups will maintained by mailman, and then we cannot maintain members in lists by one administrator.
                    > Why not? Mailman is quite simple to maintain.

                    Mailman 3 (which is currently at beta 3 release, and quite stable from
                    what I hear) is able to use external sources for maintaining list and
                    list membership data, and the word is it would be relatively easy for an
                    LDAP adapter to be written - and indeed, I hear it is already planned,
                    but if you (or someone else) beats them to it, I'm sure they'd
                    appreciate it.

                    Bottom line... it would be doable, if you and or someone or more on your
                    team are comfortable using beta software and 'rolling your own' as far
                    as installing it and getting it working...

                    --

                    Best regards,

                    Charles