Cannot receive email

  • SONNY LASKAR
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2013
      Hello,
      I have just moved a site to a VPS and configured Postfix and Dovecot.

      I have also updated the MX record for my domain.
      I can send emails from the VPS but cannot receive any emails.

      I asked my host and they say "You will need to enable DKIM/SPF and enable PTR/RDNS"

      I dont know what to do next.

      Please assist.

      Regards
      Sonny
    • Bill Cole
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2013
        On 26 May 2013, at 14:42, SONNY LASKAR wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I have just moved a site to a VPS and configured Postfix and Dovecot.
        >
        > I have also updated the MX record for my domain.
        > I can send emails from the VPS but cannot receive any emails.
        >
        > I asked my host and they say "You will need to enable DKIM/SPF and
        > enable
        > PTR/RDNS"

        This makes them seem quite clueless, or perhaps as if they did not
        understand your problem. Whether or not you pay any attention to DKIM
        and/or SPF on inbound mail is a private choice and should be beyond
        their ability to check. Whether or not your VPS has an IP address with a
        PTR record (sometimes called "Reverse DNS") is probably under their
        control (i.e. not yours) and should not have any connection to whether
        or not you can receive email. However, it is not entirely unreasonable
        for a hosting provider to recommend or ever require that customers
        publish DNS records for SPF and DKIM which can be used to validate their
        outbound mail and provide a legitimate name for a PTR record in order to
        *send* mail from a VPS.

        > I dont know what to do next.

        Do what your first message from this list told you to do. See

        > Please assist.

        That isn't possible, because you haven't provided any useful information
        about your problem. The possible reasons you are not receiving mail are
        not quite infinite, but useful limits of what *might* be wrong are
        undefined...
      • Benny Pedersen
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2013
          SONNY LASKAR skrev den 2013-05-26 20:42:

          > I dont know what to do next.

          your host should setup PTR/RDNS, but you must self set hostname to the
          ip first, so when your vps hoster do its work it will later be forward /
          reverse matching

          dkim/spf have nothing to do with you cant recieve self