Re: Mail in Submit Queue

  • Bill Cole
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2013
      On 23 May 2013, at 22:18, LuKreme wrote:

      > Bill Cole opined on Thursday 23-May-2013@15:36:24
      [...]
      >> I think you could use sender_dependent_default_transport_maps to
      >> route bounces to a smtpd that uses nested_header_checks (ewww) to
      >> discard messages
      >> bearing the fingerprint of being the result of a forwarding attempt,
      >> such as a Delivered-To header containing a local mailbox.
      >>
      >> Implementation details are left as an exercise for the reader
      >> (bwahahaha...) Note that I have not done the exercise myself, so
      >> consider this a hand-wave in what seems to be the right direction,
      >> nothing more.
      >
      > Heh. I’ll pass, I think.

      It shouldn't be hard to do, at least not to the point of doing something
      reasonable 99% of the time. It could have a real long tail of edge cases
      if you have lots of forwarding accounts getting legit messages which
      tickle spam filters, but if you can accept dropping all bounces of
      forwarded mail as a no-exceptions policy it would mostly be a project in
      reading the docs.

      > You’re the same Bill Cole who used to hang out with me on the SIMS
      > list way back when Mac OS 8 was cutting edge, right?

      Caught! I confess to having a diverse and disreputable history of
      bloviating on a wide range of mail software. And last week I had a
      little hands-on with a SIMS system, helping to end its life mercifully.

      > Those were the days.

      Simplicity in an MTA has great nostalgic appeal. On the other hand, at
      that time I was also handcrafting sendmail.cf for sites that could not
      be run on SIMS or anything else as simple. I much prefer wrangling
      Postfix (and a little CGP, and the inescapable but these days always
      trivial Sendmail.)