Re: how to tell postfix not to bounce when A: host not found?

  • Jan P. Kessler
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2013
      Am 23.05.2013 18:24, schrieb Joe Wong:
      > Is there a config to tell posfix , to retry a email under A: host not
      > found condition?
      >
      > May 23 15:59:22 mysmtp postfix/smtp[7507]: 92B8BCC3DE:
      > to=<test@... <mailto:test@...>>,
      > relay=none, delay=0.01, delays=0.01/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced
      > (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
      > name=nosuchdomainssss.com <http://nosuchdomainssss.com> type=A: Host
      > not found)
      >
      > - Joe

      Afaik this is the default behaviour. Postfix retries until
      queue_lifetime is exceeded.

      Are you experiencing something else? Can you show the logs, when the
      mail with queueid "92B8BCC3DE" got into the system?
    • Joe Wong
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2013

        On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Jan P. Kessler <postfix@...> wrote:
        Am 23.05.2013 18:24, schrieb Joe Wong:
        > Is there a config to tell posfix , to retry a email under A: host not
        > found condition?
        >
        > May 23 15:59:22 mysmtp postfix/smtp[7507]: 92B8BCC3DE:
        > to=<test@... <mailto:test@...>>,
        > relay=none, delay=0.01, delays=0.01/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced
        > (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
        > name=nosuchdomainssss.com <http://nosuchdomainssss.com> type=A: Host
        > not found)
        >
        > - Joe

        Afaik this is the default behaviour. Postfix retries until
        queue_lifetime is exceeded.

        Are you experiencing something else? Can you show the logs, when the
        mail with queueid "92B8BCC3DE" got into the system?

        It bounced right after the first attempt.
      • Joe Wong
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2013

          On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Joe Wong <joewong99@...> wrote:

          On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Jan P. Kessler <postfix@...> wrote:
          Am 23.05.2013 18:24, schrieb Joe Wong:
          > Is there a config to tell posfix , to retry a email under A: host not
          > found condition?
          >
          > May 23 15:59:22 mysmtp postfix/smtp[7507]: 92B8BCC3DE:
          > to=<test@... <mailto:test@...>>,
          > relay=none, delay=0.01, delays=0.01/0/0/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced
          > (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
          > name=nosuchdomainssss.com <http://nosuchdomainssss.com> type=A: Host
          > not found)
          >
          > - Joe

          Afaik this is the default behaviour. Postfix retries until
          queue_lifetime is exceeded.

          Are you experiencing something else? Can you show the logs, when the
          mail with queueid "92B8BCC3DE" got into the system?

          It bounced right after the first attempt.

          and:

          maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d
          bounce_queue_lifetime = 5d

          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2013
            On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:24:26AM +0800, Joe Wong wrote:

            > Is there a config to tell posfix , to retry a email under A: host not found
            > condition?

            Why? When a destination domain does not exist, why keep the mail
            in the queue 5 days in the almost always futile hope that it may
            come to exist soon?

            When a destination has MX records, but none of the MX hosts resolve to
            an address, you can (though this too is IMHO unwise), choose the defer
            the message:

            smtp_defer_if_no_mx_address_found = yes

            This does not apply when there are no MX records (either NXDOMAIN or
            NODATA for both MX and A/AAAA records).

            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2013
              Joe Wong:
              > > Afaik this is the default behaviour. Postfix retries until
              > > queue_lifetime is exceeded.
              > >
              > > Are you experiencing something else? Can you show the logs, when the
              > > mail with queueid "92B8BCC3DE" got into the system?
              >
              > It bounced right after the first attempt.

              That is what should happen. The DNS server replied that the
              destination does not exist.

              Postfix will retry when the DNS server is unavailable.

              This of course, assumes that the DNS server is working properly.
              If it replies with DOES NOT EXIST for other errors then all bets
              are off.

              You can kludge around this with soft_bounce=yes but that creates
              other problems, such as people never finding out that their
              mail is stuck in the queue.

              Wietse
            • Joe Wong
              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2013
                Sent from my iPad

                On 24 May, 2013, at 1:27, wietse@... (Wietse Venema) wrote:

                > Joe Wong:
                >>> Afaik this is the default behaviour. Postfix retries until
                >>> queue_lifetime is exceeded.
                >>>
                >>> Are you experiencing something else? Can you show the logs, when the
                >>> mail with queueid "92B8BCC3DE" got into the system?
                >>
                >> It bounced right after the first attempt.
                >
                > That is what should happen. The DNS server replied that the
                > destination does not exist.
                >
                > Postfix will retry when the DNS server is unavailable.
                >
                > This of course, assumes that the DNS server is working properly.
                > If it replies with DOES NOT EXIST for other errors then all bets
                > are off.
                >
                > You can kludge around this with soft_bounce=yes but that creates
                > other problems, such as people never finding out that their
                > mail is stuck in the queue.
                >
                > Wietse

                Thx Wietse.